Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trying to get my computers to talk!  (Read 3388 times)

Learner

Trying to get my computers to talk!
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »

Help please!!!  I have been trying to set up a home network but am having huge problems so would be grateful for some help.  I will try to explain my set up as best I can but please ask any questions and I will try to answer them.  Here goes.

1.  I get my internet through a Negear DG834PN router which is connected to my friend's desktop computer downstairs. (XP Home )

2.  I have a desktop comp.  (XP Home )  I have a Netgear WPN111 attached to receive the internet.

3.  I have a Toshiba Laptop with wireless built in.  (XP Home)

4.  I have a Samsung Q45 with wireless built in (Vista)

I have tried to get the laptop(s) and my desktop to share files and printers but, could only get the files on the Toshiba to show on my desktop and my firends desktop.  On my friends it said access was denied to the files which is what I'd like to keep.  I could access the files and printer on my desktop - great.

What I would like is for the files & printer on my desktop to be accessable on my Toshiba (and the Samsung if possible).  I have tried the wireless route and even tried connecting the Toshiba to my desktop via a cable which plugged into the back of both machines (in ethernet I think).

Any step by step instructions would be very much appreciated as this is driving me crazy!!  Thanks in advance.

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: Trying to get my computers to talk!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

There's more than one ways of achieving what you want.  Have a look at this link which gives step-by-step instructions, straight from the horses mouth.
Regards,
Mick

anything