Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My Domain Rewrite.  (Read 3113 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
My Domain Rewrite.
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »

I forgot that I have this free domain with my ISP when I was setting up my email address's the other day.
Looking at setting up emails pop3 is grayed out and you have to use 'Domain Rewrite' what is this ?.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:46:46 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: My Domain Rewrite.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »

Not sure.

A lot of things like domain stuff when it comes to settings is specific to whomever provides it. 

For eg domain management that I had with my ISP was done in a totally different way to the control for my main domain..
which is different from the control panel I have where I purchase several other domains from... which is different again from some paid for hosting that I used to have elsewhere :/
.. which is possibly why when it comes to instructions to setting certain stuff up it can be a bit vague, unless the person telling you knows of the system that the provider uses.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:23:10 PM »

I signed up for my free webspace with Tiscali, but they never gave any instructions as to how to access it, so I just gave up.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »

Thanks both  :).

I have contact my ISP  Eclipse and asked them, there are a lot of things on there knowledge base but most are double dutch. :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: My Domain Rewrite. Update
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »

Update.
My ISP told me it only registers my free domain it does not include email. :'(
So the domain rewirte is to send it to another server or domain.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »

oh - so its simply  what some places call administering the DNS or changing the Nameserver records?

For eg I purchase my domain name from company 'x' - but in their control panel I point the name server records to my webhosts, who are the ones that deal with my mail.

I know that your ISP gave you some free webspace but irrc there wasnt any control for proper administration with the domain name..  so now may be the time to start looking at some separate hosting which will allow you proper control of your webspace and also email.

Whilst it may not be the cheapest package..  the £17 per annum package from Vidahost does seem pretty good value for UK hosting and includes a lot of stuff not normally found from the likes of 123.reg such as CPanel (which gives you a lot of control how your domain is administered) .
Up to 5 subdomains..  5 SQL databases and allows php.. so you can even run forums - unlike say with 123.reg..  which makes it IMHO an overall very good deal.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »

Thanks .
Interesting  :)