Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1TB External USB Drive suggestions please  (Read 5601 times)

Learner

1TB External USB Drive suggestions please
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »

I've been looking at 1TB drives and wondered if anyone could suggest a good one for around £100 or less (better still).  Thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: 1TB External USB Drive suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »

I notice you say USB.
Just before we answer... and to ensure that we are recommending the right thing for what you need.

Can I just ask - is the drive to be attached to just 1 PC and be portable to others.. 
or would something which is more like a permanent fixture and can be accessed by all of the PCs on a network be more the type of thing you need.

I tend to use the latter, as its a good option for a backup device and because its ethernet it transfers files faster.  It can also be easily accessed by any PC on the network..  which means its good for storing music/movies etc.  - for eg my daughters music is on it and it can then be played by any PC.  The downside is that they do tend to be a bit more expensive though. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Learner

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:44:13 PM »

I would love to be able to share it with my laptop(s) and desktop but, I have been having huge problems trying to set up a network to get them to speak to each other.  So, either type would be appreciated!  I will try and post a help with regard to my network problem tomorrow!   I have spent hours trying the last two days so have given up.  Thanks.

Learner

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »

Hello,

Another day another chance to get the brain working (hopefully).  On reflection, I think a USB might be better as I would like to put my music, photos, etc on it and be able to use it via my TV USB port.  I can just plug it into my laptop if I need to.  I have looked at the Buffalo reviews and this seems a good choice.  What do you think or suggest?  Thanks in advance.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

I have a Buffalo linkstation (which is a networked drive rather than USB) which Im very pleased with - I think a couple of others on here also use buffalo for external storage... and they do seem to have a good reputation.

I dont actually have an external USB as such (although I do also have something called a Hard Drive to Go - which will hotplug to SATA or will use USB), so I have no real experience of purchasing a straight forward USB.

However I should imagine that if I was looking at USB, I would look more at what drive it contains inside the case...  For example my HD2Go was actually purchased (cheap at the time) as an Aldi special.  OK the case says Medion but the HDD inside its actually a Seagate Barracuda.
I normally rate Western Digital Drives good.

I really must stress that I havent looked too deeply at prices, but at first glance I like the look of the
Buffalo 1TB DriveStation Turbo USB2 3.5" for £78.96
which seems to get good reviews.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 04:24:39 PM »

> I dont actually have an external USB as such (although I do also have something called a Hard Drive to Go - which will hotplug to SATA or will use USB), so I have no real experience of purchasing a straight forward USB.

That's interesting to know, I did not realise the "Hard Drive to Go" was hot swappable.  (I usually turn off the PC first)

I also have a Seagate 500 GB external USB drive, and even though it's USB2, it's not as quick as most other type of drives, in-fact it's a pain if moving GB's of info onto it.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »

I bought the Buffalo USB 1TB Drive Station for my wife to store all her graphics and music that go with her hobby/job.  As I have come to expect with Buffalo, a 5* product worth every penny.

Colin

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »

>> That's interesting to know, I did not realise the "Hard Drive to Go" was hot swappable.  (I usually turn off the PC first)

Its not in XP I dont think by default...  and/or its something to do with SATA...  but chris made me a small batch file that allows me do so and safely removes the drive from  its docking station.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:39:20 AM »

Kitz.
Thanks for clarifying that, but as it's used on a dual boot (XP & Vista) and as it's very quick to boot-up I'll stick to turning off the PC first. (Just-in-case)

Sorry for going OT.

Learner

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »

Thank you for your suggestions and comments.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »

yw :)
-----

anything