Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WARNING!!!!!!!!! Free Give Away of the Day software today  (Read 2461 times)

camallison

• Kitizen
WARNING!!!!!!!!! Free Give Away of the Day software today
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »

2Flyer Screensaver Builder Pro - when I attempted to install this, my Bit Defender Security flagged 4 attempts to load a trojan - thankfully quarantined.  Whilst this might be a false alarm, I would urge anyone downloading and installing it to proceed with caution.

Colin

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: WARNING!!!!!!!!! Free Give Away of the Day software today
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:29:15 PM »

Thanks Colin.

>> Whilst this might be a false alarm

Makes you wonder - I know when I did a full system scan the other day the amount of stuff flagged up as unsafe by Avast was ridiculous.  I knew the items were OK.  TBH I think we are now getting to silly stupid phase where just about anything and everything is flagged up.
This has a downside..  and can make the user trigger happy... which will lead to peple just going 'yes, yes, yes' without even looking  :-X

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »

I sent the quarantined files to Bit Defender and also to PrevX and both have now confirmed that they were correctly identified.

At this point I should declare that my business partner was the founder of PrevX, and I am NOT trying to hawk their product - it can actually be downloaded and installed for free for personal use.

Worrying though, about GAOTD.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »

I was reading through the user comments for that application, and I must say they mostly seem favourable, so it's probably your defence systems being a little over sensitive.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

anything