Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update  (Read 6234 times)

scottiesmum

I checked my update  MS history this morning , I have my settings for automatic downloads but alert me before installing, everything was ticked  green and up to date, but  this was featured as a recommended update.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Date last published: 1/27/2009
Download size: 248.4 MB

I'm a little confused  ::) ::)   it mentions SP1 but I have SP3 installed  :'(....  is the above something I should have ?   I'm only querying it because of it's huge size !   Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here   :-[.... and many thanks for any response.   :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck

.NET Framework is an application required to run some but not all programs.
The SP1 mentioned is a service pack for NET Framework, not for Windows.

If you don't already have it, and you are working away fine without it, then you do not need it.

Give it a miss.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

I had the same update Kate (only for Vista).Mine was 55mb so I downloaded it yesterday,no problems so far.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:38:18 AM by UncleUB »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

Tbh,if I have read the posts on here before hand I don't think I would have bothered
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:42:02 PM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

Thank you very much TD and Unc...  I've looked at the link, and looked at my present installations and found this :-

I shall take your advice TD and give it a miss  ....  so far everything is running OK  ...  IF things go pear shaped then I can go back for it !

Many thanks again.  :flower: :flower:

Ooooooooo   sorry for making page wide  !! :o

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck

Things won't go pear-shaped, scottiesmum............if you don't use any programs that require it, then you don't need it. If you do use such programs and it/they are running ok now without this update........then if it aint broke, don't fix it.

It is a huge download for something that you don't need and which may, indeed, upset the applecart if installed. Lots of problems posted around the interwebbie about this update.

I don't have NET Framework installed, and have never missed it.

I would forget it............and good for you for putting a curb on the auto updates, always good to know in advance what Windows is trying to do.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:00:48 AM by tuftedduck »

scottiesmum

Merci TD   :flower:

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan

.NET Framework is an application required to run some but not all programs.
The SP1 mentioned is a service pack for NET Framework, not for Windows.

If you don't already have it, and you are working away fine without it, then you do not need it.

Give it a miss.

Yep, I'd go with that.  I've never had any version of .net installed, and until something demands its presence I won't bother.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.

I have in the past always removed .net framework 1 & 3 and only have version 2 installed.
If ever it is required you should get a warning/request notice to install it, if and when necessary.

Just as an aside, did you also notice that M$ say SP3.5 should only take (I think it was) 2 minutes to DL.  :lol:
Not too mention, that the other problem with the majority of these updates are that the size/s displayed are highly compressed sizes, which can then turn out to be quite huge when installed.