Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: To be Maxed or not  (Read 2828 times)

leveled

To be Maxed or not
« on: March 24, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »

I am with plusnet and my speed is 490or so with a 512 connection. I am several miles from the exchange and had an unreliable line until I connected with a DG 834G  modem router after contacting the Kitz forum. Since then my line has been reliable and Stays connected . I am told I may get a faster connection if maxed but there is no certainty of this my line stats are           
System Up Time 09:26:47
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 5945 6816 0 32 267 06:27:27
LAN 10M/100M 280 0 0 1 0 09:26:43
WLAN 11M/54M 19578 17124 0 541 65 09:26:34

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 18 db

Could anyone advise me if I should stay as I am or take the max option, with the chance of doubling my speed  Thank You   ED

Jameseh

Re: To be Maxed or not
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 05:39:58 PM »

I'd say to stay as you are.

Yes, there is a chance if increasing the performance on your line, but given that you are so far away from the exchange, there is a good chance that the stability post upgrade would be rather poor.

James

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: To be Maxed or not
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:59:21 PM »

I'd say to stay as you are.

Yes, there is a chance if increasing the performance on your line, but given that you are so far away from the exchange, there is a good chance that the stability post upgrade would be rather poor.

James

Totally agree - your line atten is showing as  63 db which is the maximum reading for most routers, and in reality your attenuation could be even higher.  The fact that your line was unreliable before using the Netgear makes me think that max could just push a bit too much and because of the IP profiling performed by BT, theres a risk that your speeds could be profiled even lower.

To get speeds higher than you are now then, you would need to sync at 1152 kbps or above..  based on your current SNR Margin of 12 db I have a strong suspicion that instability that you would see would profile you with a target SNR of 12dB or even 15dB.  Therefore your chances of actually achieving a sync at 1152 or above are going to be pretty slim Im afraid.  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker