Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ST 585v6 and DMT Modemoptions2  (Read 2150 times)

pintosal

• Reg Member
ST 585v6 and DMT Modemoptions2
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »

Does anyone know what the two Remote Power sliders do on the 5th tab of DMT when it connects to the Speedtouch 585v6?

Anything useful?

I am running firmware 6.1.4.3

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ST 585v6 and DMT Modemoptions2
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »

Output power
Increasing your output power will increase your signal strength.. which in turn may increase your SNR.. which may increase your sync speed.
Woooooooah great I hear you say - increase the gain on my line and get a better sync :D

However signal strength can also be adjusted as part of the bit swapping process... and also many bins (particularly in the lower frequences) may be masked to ensure that power doesnt go above xdB... and also there will be some settings on the dslam to ensure the power level cant be increased above a certain limit. (Other wise your line could drown out neighbouring lines causing crosstalk at the dslam.  Short lines will also often find that their output power has been reduced to prevent this.

A certain amount of leaway/overhead is also needed on some lines in order to give spare incase the bit-swapping process needs it.  If theres not sufficient overhead, and your SNR does decrease, then bitswap may not be able to work in the way it was designed and you could loose sync at an earlier stage than you would do normally.  Theres a reason why some leeway is needed and therefore its not unusual to see a line sync up with say 18dB power, but increase to just shy of 20dB during peak.
For all of the above reasons, tweaking the output  power may not work/and/or is not recommended on many lines.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker