Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Carol Thatcher  (Read 13256 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Carol Thatcher
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:40:53 AM »

Well the beeb have done it again, fish of one and fowl of t'other.  If they sack Carol for making a remark that seemingly wasn't done offensivel and in "private", then they should have sacked Ross and Chris Moyles.... both let off the hook for offensive speech and in public too!

Do you think there is a hidden agenda with the BBC.... Thatcher name probably still irks some and a chance to show that with this came along?

It does annoy me where it seems that if someone abuses a white person not a lot of made of it whereas when it's someone from an ethnic background, all hell is let loose.  Everything should be fair... treat one as you do the other, then no one will aggrieved, but then I am talking about this country  >:(

Don't know what others think but this is a storm in a teacup, as for the word golliwog it's a child's toy, my daughter had one and loved it to bits when she was young....I can't believe what has gone on in this country to turn people against people....and it is still going on as with the case in point.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Carol Thatcher
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »

Totally agree Chrissie,once the 'race card' is played its another ball game.............pathetic.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »

As stated on the "Today program" on 4 this morn, although in reference to a completely different matter

"Those who seek to be offended will be"

I don't belive in the link with her Mother but I do get the impression the BBC is running scared after the Ross/Brand incident and is going out of its way to demonstrate it has it's house in order. The D.E.C. appeal being another recent exsample

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »

I think this has been blown out of all proportions, years ago gollis were simply a toy and there was nothing racist about it. You can bet that if the gollis had been white, no matter what the connotations were, nothing would be being said today.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »

I think this has been blown out of all proportions, years ago gollis were simply a toy and there was nothing racist about it. You can bet that if the gollis had been white, no matter what the connotations were, nothing would be being said today.

Oh yes and isn't that just the truth!  :(
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:29:20 PM »

I expect the BBC are going to be scared of their own shadow soon.   I think everyone knows my feeling about Wossy, so I won't go over that  ::).

I'm not sure the "racist" element is the real reason for this,(the person to whom they are all assuming it was aimed at didn't hear it, so therefore couldn't have been offended)  more the "jealousy" element because to me the saddest part of this, and I totally agree that it has been blown out of all proportion, is that someone bothered/took great delight in 'telling tales'  .... I would expect that everyone in that Green Room, who were party to the remark are in the same sort of business  which makes them colleagues and I'm appalled that one/several  colleague couldn't simply make their feelings known to Carol Thatcher at the time of the "private conversation"  without having to contact the media.  I'm afraid that Big Brother is alive and well and installed in the BBC and that is a frightening thought !

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:49:53 PM »

Apparently in private off air conversation the subject of the tennis player Andy Murray came up, She made a comment about his hair looking like a gollywog. That was it, nothing else.

Reminds me of when Bernie Grant piped up about the term Blackboard. It's a board and it's black, never had and conertaion in my mind between the Noun and a persons race.

Hence my quoting : "Those who seek to be offended will be"

jack8

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »

This is so typical of the BBC these days, They should have sacked the fool Ross and yet use the race card again for Carol.
1664 The Best Year Ever

poppy

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »

My (adult) niece rather admired a little golly keyring that my OH had so I bought one for her when I found a shop that sold them.
She worked at Morrisons and had the keyring in her pocket.  It must have been visible from there because a customer complained to management about it and she was asked not to have it on her person again whilst working.
There was no racial undertones at all - she just liked it as she would like a teddy bear or something similar.
Wonder if there would have been any comments if it had been a little white doll (remember the Cabbage Patch doll craze?)
Some people should get a life (unless there is something I am missing here?)!

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:22:46 PM »

Now Clarkson has put his foot in it again, but like Ross, I expect all he'll get is a slap on the wrist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7873624.stm
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »

I don't usually agree with anything Clarkson says, but he did get two bits right out of three on this occasion. :lol:
  Eric

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »

I believe what he got right was scottish and idiot ?? do I get a prize  :lol:  the first one might be right he could have problems we don't know about  ::)
Imagine™

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »

It's a well known fact that GB has sight only in one eye, so 3/3 in my opinion, even if it wasn't very nice to use personal insults, it was truthful

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »

Jeremy Clarkson went up in my estimation when he slapped  Piers Morgan, he has ascended even further now.  His apology was apt,  "In the heat of the moment I made a remark about the Prime Minister's personal appearance for which, upon reflection, I apologise."   ......    I'm delighted he didn't retract the rest !      >:D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:41:53 PM by scottiesmum »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »

Being Scottish, I feel compelled to point out...

any suggestion that equates Scottishness with incompetence is totally, well, a bit of a laugh.  Most Scots I know are quite happy to have a chuckle at their fellow countrymen at their own expense, especially when applied to such shining examples as the one in question.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4