Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: tiscali!!!!!  (Read 20817 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
tiscali!!!!!
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:21:02 PM »

Hi
I have given up .Its time to move just for a laugh have a look at this

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=159936

He does not know why I can get more than 2 Mbps ??

see attached summary started  yesterday . No prizes for guessing the times of each test.But the first was about 10:00 am yesterday.the last 2 high peaks were this morning at about 07:00 and 09:00
useful for potential new  tiscali users .

This evening the BT speedtest was so low < 400Kbps it triggered the 2nd stage test. Unfortunately I must have done something wrong or the system was not working .I ended up with a bt page telling me I had to close ,with a list of about half a dozen reasons why I had reached that page .(I will do screen print next time )

Don't intend to do any more with them(tiscali) ,It would probably extend my contract  :'(

I am not a heavy user any recommendations ? which Isp has low contention ? any help appreciated . I cannot have any LLU as the exchange does not support any.

regards Jeff ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:23:14 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: tiscali!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »

Have a look in the my account area to see what package you are on...

Login to My Account on the Tiscali site and click Change my Broadband Package.

It will then ask you to confirm what package you are on.

If it does say 2meg, then obviously they didn't adjust your package correctly or there a problem somewhere that you need to discuss with them?

If it is incorrect, then advise the forums what package you thought you were on, so they can adjust it.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »

Hi JID
1:I did explain to them that their records are wrong . when Nick sorted the problem with my connection,he said he would get them to change my account details .

2: I am amazed that the forum guy should say  " Therefore you should not be able to achieve speeds over 2mb. Why you have been able to I do not know"

Its obvious that the help is useless . More to the point it reinforces the view that they are NOT interested in helping the customer . So enough is enough . >:(

I have been thinking of PLUSNET .

regards Jeff
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »

A classic "computer says no!".
PlusNet are fine, used them myself for a while and still have an account/email and get referral payments.  ;)
(went elsewhere since for other reasons)
I left Tiscali for PlusNet over a year ago - what a revelation! ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »

What total imcompetance!

We cannot change your "records" to say you are on MAX speeds, we need to get your package changed.

Well just which idiot changed you back to 2Mb then on the 15th if you are supposed to be on Max?  Tiscali's answer to anything and everything seems to be 'tweak the profile'.

Be very wary of doing the max upgrade yourself jeff since doing so could sign you up for another 12/18 month contract.  I know youre presently biding your time to get out of the existing one.

Its obvious that the help is useless . More to the point it reinforces the view that they are NOT interested in helping the customer .

Ive recently had 1st hand experience of that - I've come to the conclusion they crapped themselves when I started posting, despite the fact that I didnt breach any rules or lay any blame - which I could have, because some of the posts are 'warped truth'

Not suitable for heavy p2p, but Ive used them for several years and the way they do things suited me fine even though Im a heavier than normal user. 
The only reason I left was I knew my line would support 24Mb - and the only way on my exchange of getting that was via LLU.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:39:02 PM »

Hi JID
1:I did explain to them that their records are wrong . when Nick sorted the problem with my connection,he said he would get them to change my account details .

2: I am amazed that the forum guy should say  " Therefore you should not be able to achieve speeds over 2mb. Why you have been able to I do not know"

Its obvious that the help is useless . More to the point it reinforces the view that they are NOT interested in helping the customer . So enough is enough . >:(

regards Jeff

They said the same to me via the Forums, "there is nothing further we can do"!.

I just couldn't believe it!!

As Kitz has said, Plusnet aren't fans of p2p.

Have you tried putting your postcode in here to see what options/prices are available to you?
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/

I am in no way connected to moneysupermarket and I used it as an example
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »

> As Kitz has said, Plusnet aren't fans of p2p.

In fairness to Plusnet, it does depend on which package you purchase - for eg Pro isnt shaped.  Unlike a lot of other ISPs they are very upfront about what shaping they do, so if you choose the package thats right for your own requirements then they should be fine.

I dont use p2p, therefore I found practically everything I did came down at full pelt, and the package I was on was ok for nntp at times that were ok with me.

I think the only thing I ever noticed any slowness on was with windows up dates which were @ around 1Mbps, but again that didnt bother me since everything else I did was at linespeed.

Theres a Plusnet shaping guide which shows exactly what they do when.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »

psst jamie

Why not use this sites adsl checker and ISP price guide or ISP price compare
With all respect moneysupermarket dont give a toss what they recommend and unlike this site they only list ISPs that pay them commission.  I know for a fact that certain ISPs pay them up to £100 per signup because of the volume they deal in.

This site doesnt work like that - we will give you all the facts good bad and ugly..  I list and recommend many ISPs that dont pay commision.

Even if I do.... unfortunately I dont get whacking big commission rates like they do. This site is non profit making and everything gets ploughed back into site running costs.  So if PN give me 25p/50p per signup..  then that helps :)

I've taken the liberty of correcting the links - roseway
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:10:59 AM by roseway »
-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »

Hi all

Thanks for replies . I have just replied to tiscali and made it clear that I do not intend to do anything more with them. They are NOT getting anything more out of me .  :no:

quote " This site doesnt work like that - we will give you all the facts good bad and ugly..  I list and recommend many ISPs that dont pay commision."

Kitz that is why I asked here for information,knowing I would get good advice untainted by commission. :)

I will be going to PN sooner rather than later ,as soon as I have got my telephone calls back to BT. Thank goodness I didn't have my line transferred.  ;D
 do I need to do anything so that you get your 25 p fortune when I move ?
Regards Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »

>> do I need to do anything so that you get your 25 p fortune when I move ?

Thanks jeff.

If you go through the top Plusnet banner (hopefully you dont have any other cookies stored from MSE etc), then it should automatically be credited to me.  Alternatively during the signup process PN should ask if there was a referrer - in which case if you put in kittz (note the double t) then it will go to my account.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »

psst jamie

Sorry Kitz :o

I wasn't with it much yesterday, totally forgot you have the best ever ISP comparisons around! ;D
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »

nps  :lol:
-----