Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Update Checker.  (Read 4840 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Update Checker.
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:16:52 AM »

This looks quite useful from FileHippo

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Update Checker.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »

I do like the filehippo site.
Clear, easy to navigate, easy to select your prog, informative and totally free of any nasties.

I have the updater thingy but at the moment am not adding any more software to the machine, apart from security updates, until my shutdown problem is sorted......that problem lies somewhere in the existing system and nothing more gets added which may confuse thimgs.

But.........a very handy tool indeed.

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »

That does look good Unc !  (I'm usually a bit hesitant with 'beta' versions of anything) but I think I'll give that a whirl   .. thank you.    TD you might find this interesting , I've used it for a long time now and found it useful, and nothing to download for you !

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar

:)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »

@ scottiesmum............yes, I use that too..........good site.

Thanks for the post and the linky.... :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »

A pleasure TD   :)

Now I've installed the above from Unc's link, and it has advised me of certain updates, some of which I knew about but are for programmes I don't use that often, but now I've been 'alerted' I'll get them done.  However, I have one query  (up to now  :D )  there is an update needed for ATI Catalyst which I didn't even know I had  ::) on further reading I see that this is for the latest Windows XP drivers and software for the Radeon range of ATI graphics cards.   I  have a Radeon Display adapter  (which I've found in the Disk Manager window about 10 minutes ago) so I assume that this update is necessary ?   am I correct ??   :'(   I know this seems like asking the obvious but I want to make sure .. many thanks   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »

Kate,I too have an ATi Radeon graphics card.(256mb X1300 pro).I have never bothered to update since I have had the computer (April 2007) and I have never had any problems.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 12:56:01 PM »

I have in the past used a program called "DriverMax" which sound like it does a very similar thing.
Although it was pretty good it did not come without causing problems with some drivers being compromised and I also lost my USB ports at one stage.
"Although that was probably my fault with installing everything and anything in as short amount of time possible"

So a word of advice is to take each upgrade one at a time, and make sure the system is not compromised with drivers conflicting before installing the next upgrade/update.

So plenty of System Restore points before each update/upgrade.

You know the old saying "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"
But it did speed-up my PC tremendously at the time.

edit:
However I would be interested in knowing from anyone who tries this program "How many different choices of updates it gives you for downloading a updated piece of software"
As the one I used gave rather a lot of various choices to download from which also got a little confusing at times.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:42:15 PM by oldfogy »

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »

Thanks Unc and OF   .....  I shall do the usual updates, Spybot  etc ....  and leave the ones I didn't even know I had alone  !!    The little programme did at least alert me to the fact that I haven't used Skype, Yahoo Messenger and MSN for a long time  ......   so I must not 'need' them   :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »

I have used filehippo update checker for a while now and found it very useful.  Like others I have ignored updates to things like ATI Catalyst Drivers as I'm quite happy with how things are and don't want to upset the applecart.

I also find it sometimes offers very marginal updates (Picasa 3 is an example at the moment where it advises me I am using version 3.1.70.71 and offers an update to 3.1.70.73 which doesn't seem worth the download time at present).  At least I know an update is there and can choose whether to use the link or ignore it.  I just wish it allowed you to put some update suggestions into an "ignore for the moment" category.

Finally, I've found it quite interesting to keep an eye on the "Beta Updates" list.  Although I don't generally download Beta versions it is interesting to see them moving through the various stages until they finally appear on the "Ready to Go" section!  :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

ATI drivers are a pain to update anyways.

You have to uninstall the old ones first, its quite a pain, so like others have said, if it works fine, leave it alone:)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 04:28:04 PM »

I also find it sometimes offers very marginal updates

I don't think it's fair to phrase it as a "marginal update", after-all it is a update of something that has been either, added, removed or tweaked to make it work better.

But it always pays to read the "Change Log" whenever possible.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »

Yes, you're right OF - I should have said "marginal to me".  I realise some small changes can be vital, others are tweaks that don't affect the way I use a prgram.   I just don't update every time one is available until I've checked the change log and seen if it is worth it.  I'd like to be able to move any of those updates into another section on the filehippo list where I can see them if  I want but they don't  get in the way of the rest of the "new updates list"

anything