Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is something wrong with google?  (Read 7611 times)

nomeames

Is something wrong with google?
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »

Everytime I try a google search a warning page comes up..... Wondering if its just me or is it happening to others too?

"Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

Suggestions:
Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you're looking for.
Or you can see the image in its own context

Or you can continue to http://www.google.co.uk/ at your own risk. For detailed information about the problems we found, visit Google's Safe Browsing diagnostic page for this site.

For more information about how to protect yourself from harmful software online, you can visit StopBadware.org.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Is something wrong with google?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 03:09:39 PM »

Sounds like you've picked up a "nasty".

First, have a look in IE to see what Add-ons you've got (Tools, Manage Add-ons) and see if you recognise them all.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »

I have also just seen this on google on every thing I search on including Kitz and my own site. I suspect something is up with Google!!! I'm using Firefox btw...
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Google is broken
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:13:18 PM »

I just came on to report exactly the same thing.
This started happening to me about 1/2 an hour ago.   It doesnt matter which browser I use - or what I search for it tells me

"Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer"

If you check out their safe browsing diagnostic http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?
it comes up as an  server error...   so it looks like google is broken.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »

On 2nd thoughts Im wondering if google has been possibly been hacked - re the link to

or more information about how to protect yourself from harmful software online, you can visit StopBadware.org.

stopbadware.org is also down though - will see if I can 'google' for more info on that site.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »

It's working OK now for me !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 03:23:29 PM »

Working for me too, on Opera and IE7

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »

Seems ok now

But this has to be the funniest screen capture of the day (see below)

Google
This site may harm your computer
The local version of this pre-eminent search engine, offering UK-specific pages as well as world results.
www.google.co.uk/ - Similar pages

Google
This site may harm your computer

Enables users to search the Web, Usenet, and images. Features include PageRank, caching and translation of results, and an option to find similar
www.google.com/  - Similar pages

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:41:10 PM »

:lol:
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »

Nothing strange here at all.
Could it be poisoned DNS somewhere?
(I'm using Be's new "cluster" for static IP users)

Edit: Seems to be everywhere, loads of reports. Fixed now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:58:15 PM by HPsauce »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 04:51:47 PM »

This is interesting, pay Google and you're ok, don't pay and you're malware... :D

http://www.bigmouthmedia.com/live/articles/the-day-google-banned-the-internet.asp/5570/

Quote :-

"Throughout the glitch Google's paid search results were not effected. Sponsored listings were not marked with badware warnings and clicks went straight through to the intended landing pages. It is likely, however, that many campaigns would have received higher than usual click through rates while the organic results were highly unattractive to searchers."

nomeames

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »

The problem seems to be over now... ::)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 05:55:40 PM »

This problem is reported on BBC teletext now as well, really made the news this one....
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »

This is badwares statement about the 'google glitch'

This morning, an apparent glitch at Google caused nearly every [update 11:44 am] search listing to carry the "Warning! This site may harm your computer" message. Users who attempted to click through the results saw the "interstitial" warning page that mentions the possibility of badware and refers people to StopBadware.org for more information. This led to a denial of service of our website, as millions of Google users attempted to visit our site for more information. We are working now to bring the site back up. We are also awaiting word from Google about what happened to cause the false warnings.

[Update 12:31] Google has posted an update on their official blog that erroneously states that Google gets its list of URLs from us. This is not accurate. Google generates its own list of badware URLs, and no data that we generate is supposed to affect the warnings in Google’s search listings. We are attempting to work with Google to clarify their statement.

[Update 12:41] Google is working on an updated statement. Meanwhile, to clarify some false press reports, it does not appear to be the case that Google has taken down the warnings for legitimately bad sites. We have spot checked a couple known bad sites, and Google is still flagging those sites as bad. i.e., the problem appears to be corrected on their end.

For more information about how the process works and the relative role that Google and StopBadware.org play, please see our Clearinghouse page or this question in our FAQ.

[Update 1:36] Google updated its statement to reflect that StopBadware does not provide Google’s badware data.

[Update 2:35] Hopefully this will be the last update, as Google has acknowledged the error, apologized to its customers, and fixed the problem. As many know, we have a strong relationship with Google, which is a sponsor and partner of StopBadware.org. The mistake in Google’s initial statement, indicating that we supply them with badware data, is a common misperception. We appreciate their follow up efforts in clarifying the relationship on their blog and with the media. Despite today’s glitch, we continue to support Google’s effort to proactively warn users of badware sites, and our experience is that they are committed to doing so as accurately and as fairly as possible.

-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything