Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speedtouch config documents and resources  (Read 3010 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Speedtouch config documents and resources
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:05:01 PM »

As a proud recent new (-ish) of a couple of Alcatel/Thomson SpeedTouch routers, I wanted to ask if anyone has links to good sites, articles, documents and other resources about these sophisticated devices. I've downloaded some fairly useless mfr documentation that seems to have been generated by a computer program and which moronically goes through all the CLI commands one by one and adds pretty much nothing.

I've also got pretty good at bricking these devices and had hours of fun getting killed by their IE7-specific web config bug.

I decided that before I start to use one in earnest for any real projects I would write a program to configure one as doing it by hand is way too scary given the possibility for mistakes and the difficulty of getting an overview of the state of the thing, as the web UI seems pretty useless, although to its credit, for the non-technical home user it is safe, reassuring and non-cluttered and they can't wreck anything with it.

I decided that a way to start might be to write something to generate a config file for the ST which can just be uploaded. Writing something to do the reverse, to generate a summary report from a config file is harder.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Speedtouch config documents and resources
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »

I'm afraid I dont know of anything anywhere that specifically deals with the writing of config files.   Ive dabbled a fair bit in the CLI having a look around myself - trying to see if at one point you could over-ride some of the later firmware bastardisation by Thomson.

Ive also manually configured a TG585v7 on standard f/w to work with Be (normally requires separate f/w specific version) after a bit  of trial and error.

Out of curiosity which STs are you playing with.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Speedtouch config documents and resources
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:41:44 AM »

I got hold of a 546v6 in November and haven't done much with it yet apart from groping my way around the CLI and reading some of the docs.

The config files are seemingly just scripts/batch files, not "declarative", so as well as general getting things wrong you can have fun adding commands in the wrong order or leaving out pre-requisites. As I'm going through a huge XSLT phase at the moment I'll probably write an XSLT program to generate one of these scripts from some friendly XML doc that I have to thing up. Then I can simplify things down a lot and make the XML actually readable and diff-able by a human. But that will have to wait for a weekend when I'm feeling a bit more energetic as my hands are shot today. :-)

I'll dig around for websites that discuss essentials like DHCP, firewall, DNS, routing tables - its quite a daunting long list of topics that I'll have to research before I can actually put one of these devices to use in anger. It looks truly impressive, but don't know how the DSL modem subsystem compares with my favourite DG834v3 yet.