Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PCLinux2009 Is On The Way .  (Read 10929 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
PCLinux2009 Is On The Way .
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:19:20 AM »

The next update to make your PCLinux2007 up to date is due very soon  ;D.
It's a very large update 3.4GB !. :'(
Follow post 1 & 2. on:-
http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=52923.0   

There will be a fully updated ISO image available soon that you will be able to install after burning a CD / DVD image.

REMEMBER BACK UP FIRST
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: PCLinux2009 Is On The Way .
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:56:33 AM »

That's an ambitious way to upgrade! It looks as though you download the entire repository of files for the new version and then upgrade from your local download. I hope it all works. :)
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:41:09 PM »

I think I will just try it on a Test Machine first  ;) Just in case..
But I will keep the download RPM's  to upgrade my other machines if all is well ( that will save on my download allowance  ;)).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »

Yes, there's a lot of sense in that when you have multiple machines.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »

Just an up date, it's not been going very well,  on my fresh install it downloaded the packages ok but would not install them  :no:.
I had to ask for some help on pclinux forum and was pointed to package gtk+2.0 to install / upgrade that first, I did that and re tried installing the up date and it seems to be going ok at this moment.  ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »

Fingers crossed :)
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »

I had a few problems last night but I got there in the end  :).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 07:37:38 AM »

Good. :)  Are you now going to do all the family's machines?
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »

I have been thinking about that, But with over 200 posts on the Pclinos web site  I may wait for the iso !
I may try some other Test machines first  ;) and Virtual machines.

On the family machines with extra programs (with some like VirtualBox not installed from synaptic) would it be best to do this upgrade or could I some how do it from the iso without doing a full install ?.

.http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&board=52.0

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »

I think you would have a problem with VirtualBox with any sort of upgrade that includes the kernel. I think I would make sure that the virtual machine files are saved somewhere safe, then uninstall VB, do the upgrade, then reinstall VB.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »

Yes I see, I had to un-install FF, OO & Compiz before doing this upgrade the other day .

But what about this iso thats coming out soon, Would I have to fully install with that, but if thats the case I would have to install all my many programs again. :'(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »

The new ISO is presumably a normal installation CD. You may be able to install it over your present installation, but the same VirtualBox problem will remain, and your present programs may or may not work. It would probably be more problematic than using the upgrade DVD.

I think that your best bet is to use the upgrade DVD and take it slowly, one PC at a time. It will involve a lot of work, but should ultimately succeed. The alternative would be to start again from scratch with new installations, but obviously that would be a great deal of work too.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:35 AM »

In our office at home we have a back up computer for the family computer in the kitchen (so my daughter can do her homework and my wife do her charity work at the same time  ;) ).
The machine I upgraded the other day, I would like to exchange it over to become the office computer.
I have just done a full system and users  back up of the office computer, Both machines have the same OS.
Can I install all the same programs on the second machine and then copy the backup over from the old one to the new one , then run the backup.

1. Will I end up with a machine that is the same as the old one ?.

2..How can I get a list of extra programs I have installed on the old one ?. without going through synaptic !.

3. Instead of using the back up I used a re-master from the office computer, would that then put my upgraded machine back to a ungraded one as the office one is now ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 07:28:49 AM »

I'm afraid that I'm struggling to give helpful answers, because I've never tried this sort of thing. I should imagine that you could sort out what programs you need to install manually, by asking your family what programs they use and installing all of those.

I presume that people use the same login names and passwords on each machine? If so, and you have /home on a separate partition, then you could use one of the partition managing live CDs to make a ghost copy of /home on one machine and copy it to the other. But as I say, I've never done it, so you would need to think carefully and keep backups.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »

I should imagine that you could sort out what programs you need to install manually, by asking your family what programs they use and installing all of those.

I have not explained very well.
I need to have a list of the programs installed on the office computer so I can install the same ones on the new machine.
I think there is some syntax for a terminal to give me a list. ?
Pages: [1] 2

anything