Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: viaagp1  (Read 8414 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
viaagp1
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »

I wonder if some kind soul can help a befuddled Kitizen.
Running WinXP SP2

I daily find an error report in the event viewer "viaagp1 failed to load"

I am questioning the "via" part of that.

I had to replace my motherboard some time ago.
The old mobo was an AsRock K7VM2 2.00 with on-board graphics S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR which I believe is a Via
Technology Product.

My new mobo is an Asrock AliveNF6G-VSTA with onboard graphics nVidia GeForce 6150SE

Back to the non-loading viaagp1. I find a driver named viaagp1.sys in c\:windows\system32\drivers and the properties of that
tell me it is a "via nt agp filter"

My question is whether that via item is a hangover from the old Via Technology days and can therefore be deleted (?) or is it
a required driver whatever graphic are installed.

I have googled, but the responses I read are above my head, so I would really appreciate some plain English advice.

Thank you. 

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: viaagp1
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »

Is there a entry for it it in the System Configuration Utility (type msconfig in the run box on the start menu to open it)

If there is you could try disabling it first (prior to removing it) as it certainly sounds like a leftover piece of software.

Don't forget to backup......................

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »

Thanks OF.

Nothing for it in msconfig.
Am going now to set sysrestore point then delete that driver ( can recover from recycle bin if needs be), and I see a similarly titled entry in the registry so it is going too.

Will then reboot and see what happens.

Thanks again.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »

:fingers:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »

I'm back.
Well followed plan A above..........rebooted without problem, got the same error message again in event viewer and...... Windows has put the driver is back from whence it came.
That driver then appears to be a sympton not a cause .

Off under the bonnet again to some more tinkering.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »

The problem could also be that the information for that file is in the "boot.ini" and is therefore trying to load it at startup, so basically that entry also needs to be either removed or disabled in the boot.ini file file.

There is a section in the "System Configuration Utility" for checking or altering the boot.ini file.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »

Thanks, OF.

I had a look at boot.ini..................and I don't understand anything in there so will leave well alone.
I did do the "check all boot paths" thing and nothing untoward was shown.

Will leave alone for the rest of the day........getting tired tinkering now, have another go tomorrow.  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »

Yes it can be confusing if not knowing what to do.

When we used to use DOS and Win95/95 I was forever into those type of files, but to be honest it's been that long ago I have forgotten exactly what to do, except:

You can open the boot.ini file with notepad, then if and when you find the line you want to disable just type:
REM followed by a space at the start of the line. (it's not case sensitive)

rem xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This will then disable that particular line/entry from the startup process without actually having to remove the text, very useful just for testing purposes.

It will possibly be a hidden file also, so you need to enable hidden files and folders.

edit
I just searched my PC and I do not appear to have a boot.ini file, although I do have a backup of one. "Strange"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:56:39 PM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »

There might be a left-over registry entry which is trying to load that driver, and it fails with the error message because there's no hardware to match it. If you're brave you could search the registry for any references to viaagp1.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »

Thank you again, OF, and roseway.

Will try these procedures tomorrow..........want to relax now, the old bones and brain have had enough for today.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »

Thank you again, OF, and roseway.

Will try these procedures tomorrow..........want to relax now, the old bones and brain have had enough for today.  :)

Well at least the 'skip' option hasn't been mentioned .....................................yet  :scare: :comp:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »

@ unkyUb.................... :D

Well, it won't go into a skip but I am going to clear all my files off it, uninstall Photoshop and then try and sell it or, failing that, give it to some worthy cause.
But, to do that must clear this wee problem.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 04:59:20 PM »

If that is going to be the final out-come (to get rid of it) then you could always chose the easy option of re-installing windows.

Maybe not the quickest (but then again), but it should solve the problem.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:13 AM »

Following on from the above, I went into regedit and looked for any relevant registry keys. I found one, deleted it but that made no difference.

I then did what I had never done before, downloaded and installed a registry cleaner.
I ran that, having told it to look for entries appertaining to viaagp1, viaagp, via technology, prosavage ddr and it found dozens of entries tucked away in the nether regions of the registry.
I shut my eyes, held my breath and told it to delete the lot ( making a backup before doing so.)
This am, the machine started just fine, and the error report in the event viewer did not occur..........woohoo  :)

Not only that, yesterday I spent a lot of time using Photoshop which has been a recipe for a non-shutdown situation and.....................the machine shut down normally and correctly. :clap2:

It is possible then that the opening and closing errors were linked and, I say this quietly in case the machine hears me, that getting rid of all these old registry keys has sorted two problems in one. Time will tell.

Fingers crossed.  :fingers:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 07:27:09 AM »

Fortune favours the brave :clap2:
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything