Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Medion MD 8008 XL (PC MT6) MB Wiring connection question  (Read 6930 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Medion MD 8008 XL (PC MT6) MB Wiring connection question
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:03:40 PM »

Medion MD 8008 XL (PC MT6) MB Wiring connection question.

I know this is not exactly a new question from me, but I think I may now have eventually narrowed the problem down.
But I need your help.

Some time ago I had the original mainboard along with all it's accessories transferred into a larger case unit.
Ever since then I have suffered from a problem of either not being able to wake the PC if it goes into sleep mode unless I disconnect and then reconnect the mains first, or after a couple of hours of it being turned off it appears to be "trying" to re-start on it's own but without any success. (Plus another power related problem).

However, what I need is for someone with the same PC to be able to either explain or provide some pictures of the front "Card reader/USB/Input & Output" unit connections onto the mainboard, as I feel this has "possibly" not been connected properly and I'm pretty sure this may be where the problem lies, although all of the individual parts that I have used do work.
"I was told at the time there a been a problem getting the unit to work after it was transferred" so again this is another indication of it being the problem.

I feel confident that I have ruled out any other hardware or software possibilities because I removed everything possible (but not this unit) and re-installed XP and the same problem remained.
I have also re-tried it with the original PSU and also another new PSU (just in-case)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Medion MD 8008 XL (PC MT6) MB Wiring connection question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »

Mine that died on me last year was an MD8083 I think - although the mobo manual that I have says MD 8088
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »

At the moment the only MB manual I have DL is for the 8080.
The only problem is that although it shows most of the MB sockets it will obviously not be showing any actual connections.

One of the main problems though is that I can't see the actual connections in the existing unit's housing frame, so I am not too sure which cable is which (at the moment)

I have to go out now but will take a look inside my new one to see if that might shed any light with the actual cable connections.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »

OF - if you take the side off the case and look where the card reader is on the front of the case, you will see a thick cable coming out of that region which is attached to the mobo with a connector block which is about 15mm x 10mm.

pull it out off the mobo and test the machine.  It does not need this to be attached to run ok.  the only disadvantage is that the from CR/i/o ports wont work.

If it works with the cable out then you know where the problem lies.

If the machine is trying to turn its self on when you are not pressing the power button then i'd get the psu looked at or borrow 1 for diag purposes.
Paul

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »

OF - if you take the side off the case and look where the card reader is on the front of the case, you will see a thick cable coming out of that region which is attached to the mobo with a connector block which is about 15mm x 10mm.

I wish it was that simple but unfortunately it's not.
The guts of the "Multi Function 9in1 unit" is not only fixed but also recessed into a cage housing making it very difficult to see to be able to determine which of the cables belong to which particular part of the unit (the cage is also "hot-glued" into the 5.25" bay).
So basically I can't get my head in to see which cable belongs to what unless I strip it out and even then it may not help as most of the connections are on a PCB.

Because the cables have coloured plugs what I was hoping for was someone with the same system could tell me which coloured plug went to which socket on the MB.

With looking at the MB manual (Audio Connector = JAUDIO1) & the (1394 Connector = J7) sockets initially appear to be the only 2 connections which may possibly be mixed up.

As for the PSU, I have already tried a total of 3 PSU's including the original which was replace when the system was changed over as it came with a PSU, plus another brand new PSU (which strangely enough would not power the system at all, but worked on another system).

I will of course try disconnecting all of the cables at some time if it's not the fault of the 2 mentioned above.

edit:
All of the connections were correct, so eventually I ended-up removing/disconnecting all of the cables for the unit but it made no difference, so "logically" the only remaining problem must lie with a fault on the MB itself.

The problem has already been there for the last 2+ years and as the PC otherwise works properly it's going to have to be one of those annoying problems that I will have to live with.

Thanks everyone for your input though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:25:21 PM by oldfogy »

anything