Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New BT External NTEs  (Read 16455 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
New BT External NTEs
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »

Some of you may be interested that BT Openreach have now started installing the External NTEs.
Theres some more info and photographs of these new external NTEs on the BT sockets page.

One major observation is that Openreach appear to be hooking these up  to standard LJU's therefore there is no internal test socket  :(

Finally - just how secure these boxes will be Im unsure - since they will most often be fitted on the front of the property.
Access to the grey box is via a simple screwdriver and then pulling down the front cover.
I wouldnt be too surprised at some point if kids think it would be a lark to remove the yellow plug.  :-X
Even the red "tamper proof" box can be accessed with a hex screwdriver. 

-------------------
Many thanks to A Eldridge for the photos and L Goile from Zen Internet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: New BT External NTEs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »

Even the red "tamper proof" box can be accessed with a hex screwdriver. 

A basic security torx is far from tamper proof  :no:

Also who is responsible for the wiring from the NTE5 to the junction inside?  What if there is a fault in this part of the system?  I can see why they would want a test socket outside for easy access to technicians, but surely they can install a basic socket inside properties which has a test socket?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:13:39 AM »

Presumably then BT Openreach will either be fitting an internal NTE5 anyway to protect themselves from disagreements about whose wiring might be at fault, since surely as orainsear says they are going to have to run some of "their" cable into the house itself. And if the first length from outside to inside the building were not "theirs" then there'd be nothing to stop you fitting your own NTE5 anyway in place of whatever they might have done inside.

[ oh and btw :-
    @orainsear - A bheil Gàidhlig agaibh?
]

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »

[ oh and btw :-
    @orainsear - A bheil Gàidhlig agaibh?
]

I could a little when I was younger but sadly I've forgotten most of it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »

Presumably then BT Openreach will either be fitting an internal NTE5 anyway to protect themselves from disagreements about whose wiring might be at fault,

To me that would have been logical - but it appears not and the customer is presented (or at least in this case) with a normal LJU internally.

if the first length from outside to inside the building were not "theirs" then there'd be nothing to stop you fitting your own NTE5 anyway in place of whatever they might have done inside.

That thought occurred to me too..  When I first found out about the LJUs I thought how stupid since that stops using something like the clarity adsl fitted filters.. and then I thought no it shouldnt - because if the wiring that side is and does belong to BT, then if you knew what you were doing then replacing with an NTE5 should in theory be OK.  However I dont know what BTs reaction to this would be and therefore cant endorse it at the present time until further clarification is obtained...  and hence why I couldnt further say anything about it on the main site.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »

The only comments from BTW so far have suggested that they are not happy with the current situation and have engaged in talks with OR to ensure the problem will be rectified promptly.

So far no further details have been released, however as always we will update you when we can.

Kindest Regards,

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »

The only comments from BTW so far have suggested that they are not happy with the current situation and have engaged in talks with OR to ensure the problem will be rectified promptly.

Do you mean that BTW are unhappy with the new NTE5 setup?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »

>> Do you mean that BTW are unhappy with the new NTE5 setup?

If you mean the "non-NTE5" set-up then yes thats what it would appear.  Zen are one of the ISPs who have raised this issue with BTw.
So hopefully BTw can put some pressure on BTOR.
-----

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 02:32:16 PM »

>> Do you mean that BTW are unhappy with the new NTE5 setup?

If you mean the "non-NTE5" set-up then yes thats what it would appear.  Zen are one of the ISPs who have raised this issue with BTw.
So hopefully BTw can put some pressure on BTOR.

Yes I meant the new external NTE and not the NTE5 as I wrote :-[

It looks like the demarcation point is in the external NTE under the red cover, so the end user is going to be responsible for the wiring up to the external NTE.

Details in BT SIN 470.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 02:40:33 PM »

There's an interesting statement in that SIN:
"standard inclusion of a filter preventing electrical interference in DSL installations"
PREVENTING!  :lol:

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 03:10:08 PM »

Sorry orainsear,

Yes. From our discussions with BTW so far they were already having talks with BTOR discussing the issue of the box and the lack of testing facility for the CP.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »

There's an interesting statement in that SIN:
"standard inclusion of a filter preventing electrical interference in DSL installations"
PREVENTING!  :lol:

I dont have any info on the filter - the wording could  be rather inapt and you can bet someone will think that means you dont need to use adsl filters.  ???

I should imagine this filter is something similar to the 22mH choke in the i-plate or an rf3 which filters noise only on frequencies used outside the adsl frequency range.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 07:29:19 PM »

Presumably it includes all the normal "master socket" functions and electronics as well, so adding your own NTE5A as an internal distribution point could actually cause problems.
It definitely needs some sort of internal central connection point that, ideally, matches the physical interface of the NTE5A on the "user" side.
Doesn't sound 100% thought through into the "real world" does it?  :(

Tim69

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

Presumably it includes all the normal "master socket" functions and electronics as well, so adding your own NTE5A as an internal distribution point could actually cause problems.
It definitely needs some sort of internal central connection point that, ideally, matches the physical interface of the NTE5A on the "user" side.
Doesn't sound 100% thought through into the "real world" does it?  :(

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I have fitted a few external NTE now and also the customer internal wiring.  I agree that the first internal socket should include a test socket and be able to accept an SSFP (filter faceplate) to provide a good DSL connection.

My solution is to use a NTE-5, with the components removed (so as not to double master the line) and a link fitted to allow connection of the ring line from the external NTE (the ring line is filtered at the external NTE)  This  allows the test socket to operate as it should, with any phone, and avoids the possibility of an additional master showing as a fault if the internal wiring is tested from the external NTE test socket.

While this will not be accepted as the demacation point, it does help with Broadband and in the installations I have done the run from the external NTE to the first socket is less than a metre, often directly behind it on the inside, so there is little chance of this being damaged leading to no dial tone at the NTE-5 test socket, but a dial tone at the external NTE.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:11:33 AM by Tim69 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »

As ring wires seem to cause problems in some locations, perhaps you could just insert a standard dongle filter on the internal NTE5 and use that to handle the ring facility?

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: [1] 2