Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LG Monitor bargain ??  (Read 11635 times)

scottiesmum

LG Monitor bargain ??
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »

I have seen an LG Monitor with the following spec  ....

LG TFT  22"  Res. 1680 x 1050   Contrast 8000:1   Luminosité 300 cd/M²  Format 16/10   Interface  DVi and VGA  Temps Reponse 5ms

The price has been reduced from 179 €  to 99 €     3  year warranty the Model is LG W2242T

I have read reviews on  French sites which give it  *****   but I would appreciate opinions on here please.    My existing monitor is 17" and I use the 1280 x 1024 resolution.    I know the LG one is a wide screen, but would it affect me adversely an awful lot.   

Many thanks for any help..    I did say a while ago I was looking for a replacement monitor, but I  don't do these things in a hurry, this just looks a good buy   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: LG Monitor bargain ??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »

First of all the price is excellent.  :)

I have a Dell 22" widescreen monitor.When I'm browsing the interenet I never have the window to full width of screen I have it in about 2" from each edge.
The spec for that monitor is good,the response time is 5ms (the lower the better).You can usually go down to 2ms,so 5ms is quite good.
The resolution  of 1680 x 1050 is also very good.(less strain on your eyes)

IMO,for the price and a 3 year warranty it would be hard to miss it.

You will find nearly all monitors now are widescreen format.  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:52:06 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »

I completely agree with what Unc said (including the size of the browser window :) ).
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »

Thank you both  ..  on your "recommendation" I've bought one  !!!   it's here set up and it's like the local Cinema   ;D   (Ooooooooooo  aren't there a lot of wires behind the scenes  :D)   I have a button on the front of the screen which says 4.3 in Wide  ...  and when I press that I get the border that you were talking about Unc   .....   I quite like the full screen though ....is it OK to use it on full  ? I am sat a long way back and don't find it a strain (at the moment) on the eyes..      I had to buy some speakers, but I found a very good (well for my radio listening they are superb)   for 4€ 90centimes   :o   I couldn't believe it and especially with the sound quality.....     I'm quite delighted  a new HUGE screen and speakers for about £95 ...... :thumbs:

Thank you again  ...   :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »

Does this mean jumbo sized extra wide suns ?  :'(

:D

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »

What a good idea TD           :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »

Well, you asked for it TD :lol:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 06:46:49 PM »

Nice buy Kate.
..is it OK to use it on full  ?
yes,whatever you feel comfortable with,just needs a little getting use to.  :)

Never seen a widescreen sun before,I'm sure TD is well impressed.  :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 06:42:09 AM »

:help:

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »

I've been playing with said monitor ....  and I'm sorry (not really  >:D) to have to ask  something else  ::) ....     I found the screen too bright and the text not profound enough ... I've altered the brightness and contrast and also the 'gamma' settings  ...   the gamma setting was at 50  I pressed the button once which took it to Zero ...  and this looks fine, pressing it again took it to -50 which was very 'pinkish'  ... so back to Zero  ..  I just want to check that I've not done something I shouldn't   :angel: :D   Thank you in anticipation  !   

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »

Sounds ok............it's your eyes it has got to suit so fiddle with the settings until you get it comfy. You cannot do anything wrong, and you can always backtrack.

What I would do now is to open one of your images, one where you know what the colours, gamut and tonal range are and check that it looks ok on screen.  :)