Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: bras gone pear shaped  (Read 7838 times)

evs

• http:\\www.disqworld.net
bras gone pear shaped
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:59:14 PM »

Im glad I found this forum as I have been reading alot of KITZ's post's else where.  KITZ please help me before I am arrested at BT or Pipex head office for GBH.  I have been on ADSLMAX for around 6 months now with pipex and all has been well.  I used to connect at around 4.1 to 3.7 and got around 350kbs from giganews and was Happy with that.  I have started playing on Xbox live over Christmas and noticed a few droped connections which resulted in me loosing the game so I rang pipex to see if they could fix this.  A few days later I noticed that my connection speed had droped to 1.5.  So I rang Pipex again to complain about the slow speeds to which they sent another engineer out from bt.  This time he came to my house unlike the last one who just worked at the exchange.  Anyway he changed a wire in my house and carryed out a few tests.  After this I connected at 2.9 but when I did the check at the bt speed test page my IP Profile was set to 0.5 and was downloading at 46kbps.  So I rang Pipex back up and complained again. Againg the engineer came out today only 4 days since he last came out and said there is no problem with the line...  I have passed this on to pipex who said they would arrange another engineer from bt to come out wtf for I dont know..

The bt open lad said he dosnt do any work at the exchange and cannot see a problem with the line..

Please help advice me I think it could be one of the following

bras set to low
ip profile set to low
traffic managed
mac in hand but not used it yet

I dont know what am talking about but do you think the above could be causing the issue.

Also I was thinking of just migrating to fast4 in the hope that they will ask for the bras to be reset and go through the training period again asI am only 3k from the exchange...

Any help would be great and much appreciated

thanks and GREAT site by the way 8)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: bras gone pear shaped
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 11:41:48 PM »

Hi there and welcome to the forum :)

It looks like the BT profile appears to have got stuck... (the bRAS and IP profile are the same thing), due to the result you've got from the BT Speedtest. This is completely independent of ISP, so cannot be traffic management.

Assuming you have constantly synced at 2.9 or thereabouts for the last 3 days, your IP profile should be 2500 or maybe 2000, but certainly not 512k.

Try rebooting your router once a day, which has been known to kick the profile update into life in the past.

Failing this, if nothing happens within the next 3 days, then the only people who can fix this are BT Wholesale, and the only people that can ask them to do so are your ISP. So unfortunately you need to somehow make Pipex understand that the problem now lies with your BT IP profile which is stuck at 512k. They should then be able to raise this as a fault to BT who will unstick it.

Migrating probably won't solve the issue either. All migration does is to let you log onto a different ISP using a different realm (the bit after the "@" in your logon name), it doesn't, as far as I know, trigger any training period or anything with the exchange.

Ring pipex back and tell them that sending a BT engineer is useless, but it still needs to be raised to BT to get them to sort out the stuck bRAS profile.

Hope this helps

Chris
Chris

evs

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:51:59 PM »

WOW carnt believe you have posted help so quick thanks alot.  I thought the ip profile and the bras was the same lol...  I cannot reset the router as I'm using a crappy usb modem 330. Hear are the results

DSLUptime= 17463
ErrorredSeconds= 1
LossOfFraming= 1
LossOfLink= 0
LossOfSignal= 1
PhysicalLinkStatus= Up
ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 47
ReceiveMargin_dB= 15
RxOutputPower_dBm= 0
SendAttenuation_dB= 28
SendMargin_dB= 22
TotalBytesReceived= 128943594
TotalBytesSent= 17081953
TotalPacketsReceived= 96623
TotalPacketsSent= 96623
TxOutputPower_dBm= 0
Uptime= 17463
ChannelMode= Interleaved
Layer1DownstreamMaxBitRate= 1856000
Layer1UpstreamMaxBitRate= 448000
WANAccessType= DSL

Not to sure what the hell all that means but am sure my line should support 4.1 like it used to as I live 2k in a strait line from exchange and probs 3k in real terms..  Could I request to be reset to the training period to find out my msr (a think thats what its called).
DSLUptime= 17463
ErrorredSeconds= 1
LossOfFraming= 1
LossOfLink= 0
LossOfSignal= 1
PhysicalLinkStatus= Up
ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 47
ReceiveMargin_dB= 15
RxOutputPower_dBm= 0
SendAttenuation_dB= 28
SendMargin_dB= 22
TotalBytesReceived= 128943594
TotalBytesSent= 17081953
TotalPacketsReceived= 96623

Also can you recomend a good router please..  And what do you think of fast4 incomparison to pipex.

Once again thanks for your time to help me.

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:28:47 AM »

Hi Evs,

Plenty of people love the Netgear DG834, as it seems to stay connected on low SNR lines - not that yours is BTW -  (You can pick them up fro less than £50 if you shop around). The Bras is a server by the way, but your IP Profile and BRAS profile ARE both the same thing.

The modem isn't a bad one actually, BT engineers used the old version of the Speedtouch 330 (The squashed frog edition) before switching to the Voyager 105 and then the routers.

Your best bet is to get your ISP to raise a slow speed fault, but when they try to book an engineer visit try and get them to telephone BT faults for you to escalate the case. If you explain that you have Slow speed due to a Stuck BRas Profile, and have had a higher stable rate for over 3 days (Which is remote fix not requireing a Customer service engineer visit) they should be able to force a reset of your profile......trouble is that your ISP needs to be pretty insistent to get BTW to actually check this.

By the way, migrating might not be a direct fix, but it might be a way of getting an ISP with better customer service to repair your fault....e.g. move to Zen, on a 1 month contract, fix the fault and migrate away if its too expensive.....

Good Luck

Havelock

evs

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:35:23 AM »

What do you think of my line results as I dont know what Im looking for.  Im not sure if you can tell if I should be able tosupport a 4 meg connection.  Also do you think the netgear is the best modem/router to go for

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:53:26 AM »

The main results are ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 47 (How "lossy" your line is) and ReceiveMargin_dB= 15 (How much leeway you have for noise on the line)

As you are on ADSLMax already, the second of these figures can be adjusted automatically to improve either speed or stability (Provided DLM is working correctly, which in your case it may not be), so the main figure is the Attenuation (or Loop Loss).

With a looploss of ~47Db, I would say 3-4Mb, possibly 5 at a push may be attainable, but this will depend on a whole bunch of factors, including internal ADSL equipment, and a whole load more you might be able to influence by visiting http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm and following the troubleshooting for low SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio)

As for the "best" router, thats kinda like asking what the best cheese to eat is. It's largely personal preference but I think the netgear offers a good balance of reliability, affordability and advanced settings. If I wasn't on cable (10Mb, none-distance dependant) It'd be the one I'd use until I could afford £200 for a draytek bridging router....

Rgds
Havelock

Jameseh

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »

I think that everyone is missing the point that this is not a case of a stuck bRAS profile.  An IP Profile of 1.5Mbps *is* correct for the level of sync speeds that are being seen.

The *only* reason why the speeds will have dropped will be because BTG have applied an increased target noise margin on the line to counter the intermittency issues being seen recently.  The incremented SNR will cause a reduced sync speed, causing the IP Profile / bRAS to decrease accordingly.

PIPEX could ask BT to reset the target noise margin on the line if you accepted the fact that it could cause intermittency depending on the line quality.

Thanks,
James

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »

Um, might wanna read that post again Jameseh:

"After this I connected at 2.9 but when I did the check at the bt speed test page my IP Profile was set to 0.5"

Half a meg isn't the correct IP profile for a 3Mbit sync speed (or even the 1.8mbit line as his stats show).

Havelock

Jameseh

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »

Ah, my bad.  I saw the bit about being connected at 1.8Mbps and thought I saw something about being profiled at 1.5Mbps.

Of course, if the OP were to migrate to PlusNet I'd be happy to take a look at the problems being experienced :)

Cheers,
James

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 06:47:52 PM »

Of course, if the OP were to migrate to PlusNet I'd be happy to take a look at the problems being experienced :)

Careful, James. You know that's a bit naughty.

Eric
  Eric

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 10:01:48 PM »

Touting for buisness?    :lol:

One thing I like about PlusNet is they are one of the few ISP's to have the bottle to actually put streaming cams in their tech departments.

Everyone working at the ISP where I'm based would scare the punters away IMHO.

Havelock

Jameseh

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 09:33:40 AM »

Careful, James. You know that's a bit naughty.

Really? Why?

I'm only stating that I'd have access to various diagnostics via BT Wholesale that would allow us to look into the fault further.

It was only meant in jest anyhow.  I'm sure Kitz will give me a slap if she has any issue with what I've said.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 10:02:44 AM »

It was only meant in jest anyhow.

Then we'll leave it there. I'm not making a big issue of it, but just gently reminding you that advertising is contrary to the forum rules.

Eric
  Eric

evs

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 06:28:05 PM »

well I'm connecting at 1.8 and ip is set at 1500 still totaly gutted I am stable now but stable an VERY slow.  So I asked pipex for a MAC code which they gave me however it started with LYNE and wont work anywhere THANKS PIPEX..  Now I have told them I want a seven day cease on the line which I have got and as of the 27th of March am a free man..

I was thinking of going with ukonline LLU and acording tho there site they can give me speeds of around 6MB which is higher than the BTw site..  Is it right that LLU is faster and what do you think of ukonline and also I see plusnet is mentioned what do people think of those...  It seems there are a few isp workers on hear no wonder this place is a welth of information

evs

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »

Well after posting this thread ages ago and finaly leaving pipex and joining Be* I am delighted to report that the days of being fustraited by a ip profile are gone thanks to adsl2+ a netgear g834gt router and dmt tool am am now connecting at 6322 which a never thought I could get in a million years.  I was just wondering if anyone knows much about sra,  I know what it stands for but would just like to know more about adsl2+

p.s I can not praise the netgear enough.  It was droping out at 6db snr with pipex but I thought it was the router.  Well now with Be* it is holding on 1.8 db no probs
Pages: [1] 2