Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: File Sharing On a Wireless Network  (Read 3716 times)

Russell

• Just arrived
File Sharing On a Wireless Network
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »

I cannot figure out how to share my desktop files (Windows XP) with my laptop (Vista).  Desktop is hardwired to a Dlink router (Internet) and laptop has wireless connection to router.

Thank you,

MaryAnn

GWaddy

Re: File Sharing On a Wireless Network
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:27:32 AM »

hiya MaryAnn,

to share files you need to navigate to the folder you wish to make available eg my music,  right-click on that then click on properties then you go to the sharing tab and put a tick in "share this folder on the network" then Apply, the folder icon should then change to a folder with a hand underneath.

A word of warning though any sub folders and files contained within the shared folder will also be available to any other computer on your network.

On the laptop you should then (assuming firewalls are not getting in the way) be able navigate to workgroup computers from the laptop and see the xp machine if you click on that the folder you've allowed sharing on should then appear and you're good to go.

It is a little more convoluted to share vista files with another computer the right permissions need to be set after telling vista to share the file. but if I read your post correctly you want to share from your xp machine to the vista machine.

hope this helps, Gary :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:19:11 AM »

In Vista you may need to turn off password protected sharing to interact usefully with XP.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »

There may also be a problem in that your XP machine needs LLTD in its network properties to work with Vista.  There is an explanation http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=519 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

I have played with them myself and eventually gave up and "upgraded" the Vista machine to XP.

anything