Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Possibily the worst line, ever?  (Read 10816 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Possibily the worst line, ever?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 06:49:11 PM »

>> So it looks like I need to phone virgin and complain because of their rubbish service. Would you agree?

That test shows that any restrictions is down to your line rather than Virgin.
From that we can now see that you are on maxdsl, which means your line will connect at the best speed it can depending upon how much spare SNR you have, which can and does vary on a daily/hourly basis.

Throughput of 1377kbps on a line with an IP profile of 1500kbps is about right...  youre getting circa 1.5Mb speeds.
Its your line that has been profiled at 1.5Mb

To get 2Mb speeds your line will have to syncat more than 2272 kbps and remain stable at there for more than 3 days. (see roseways post).

Theres an explanation of how dslmax works here:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

At the bottom of that page theres a table which shows what speeds you have to sync at to get the actual throughput speeds.

The best chance you have of increasing your speeds is by trying to increase your SNR Margin, however you are nearing the maximum your line can handle due to distance.

Im a bit confused right now because that looks like a performance test result which doesnt bypass your ISPs network... and your speeds of 1377kbps is perfectly fine.
What happens if you do a BBMax speedtest?
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

or is it that as the evening wears on and contention kicks in that your speeds start to deteriorate.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 06:52:38 PM »

I'm still not clear whether you're mixing up your bits and your bytes. Your connection stats and IP profile are the sort of levels to be expected with such a high attenuation. You said that your best download speed was 180k, but is that 180 kbits per second or 180 kBytes per second? The former would be terrible, but the latter would be as much as you could hope for.

Eric
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 08:50:07 PM »

I have also been looking at my internal phone wiring. I removed the front panel of the phone socket, which allowed me to view the wiring. I have two wires going into the top part of the socket, a blue one and a white one, with a number of other wires disconnected. Is this correct? Should the wires go into the top part of the socket or should they go into the holes numbered 1 - 6. Im sure this would be easier to explain with pictures which are attached, sorry there a bit blurry.

That what you have there is your BT line master socket/line box, an NTE5A if we want to be technical.
The blue and white wire are your incoming network line wires. That is perfectly correct.
The terminals labelled 1 to 6 are for you to connect any extension wiring to. Since nothing is connected, you have no extension wiring!

Just answering that question for you ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:53:24 PM by soms »

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »

Not neccessarily Shaun.

What you completed was a PTTR test, unless you connected using the username speedtest@speedtest_domain instead of your usual @Virgin login, the speedtest was done over Virgin's network anyway. Did you try downloading the ISO file in my previous post? What sort of download speed did you get there? If you are downloading a file at 150-175kb/s (1500kbps as per your IP Profile) then it's just as likely to be BT's fault as Virgin's

(If you did connect using the speedtest_domain login for this test, then yeah, it is Virgin at fault)

Just as a sidenote, besides using speedtests, what sort of download speeds to you usually get when downloading files (for example from download.com or whatever)?

Rgds
Havelock

shauntr

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 07:13:18 PM »

Hi,

Can I just say thanks to everyone who has posted here, it's helping a lot.

I'm still not clear whether you're mixing up your bits and your bytes. Y

Just completed a speed test at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ got these results:-

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1335 kbps (166.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 205 kbps (25.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Not neccessarily Shaun.

What you completed was a PTTR test, unless you connected using the username speedtest@speedtest_domain instead of your usual @Virgin login, the speedtest was done over Virgin's network anyway.

yes it the test I did was using my Virgin details, I did try using the speedtest@speedtest_domain but the test just kept giving me an error.

Did you try downloading the ISO file in my previous post? What sort of download speed did you get there? If you are downloading a file at 150-175kb/s (1500kbps as per your IP Profile) then it's just as likely to be BT's fault as Virgin's

Yes, speeds varied between 65kB\Sec - 168kBSec, this was left running for 15 mins. The speed would fluctuate a lot. It would peak, stay for 30 secs or so then slow down to around 65kB then build up again?

(If you did connect using the speedtest_domain login for this test, then yeah, it is Virgin at fault)

Just as a sidenote, besides using speedtests, what sort of download speeds to you usually get when downloading files (for example from download.com or whatever)?

Tried downloading Titan Quest from download.com max speed reached was 8.9kB\Sec (I kid you not  >:()

Tried downloading the Prey demo from http://www.computing.co.uk max speed reached was 123kB\Sec

Thanks to everyone once again

Cheers

Shaun

shauntr

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 07:36:09 PM »

Just tried the BT Speed Test again.

Unfortunately it didn't work, used the details from Kitz's main site

USER: speedtest@speedtest_domain
PASS: testing

The page didn't even load, checked my router and my IP address had changed to 217.something, so I had connected to the network but the page wouldn't load. Now trying with my Virgin details and get the following results, similar to the one before.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2176 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1314 kbps

I've never been able to connect to the BT Speed Test site using the speedtest login. Am I doing something wrong or just unlucky. I know the site can become very busy but the only way I can carry out a test is by using my Virgin details, so im not bypassing their network which is what I need to do.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Shaun

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »

There are sometimes when it is extremely difficult to do one of the old style BTw speedtests, unfortunately BT are supposed to be phasing it out in favour of the new style one :(.
From what I have seen sometimes it depends on which RAS you are connected via.

Your actual throughput speed on that last test seems ok for your IP profile.

The BBMax speedtest at 1335 kbps also looks right for your line. The download from computing whilst a little bit slow is still giving you around 1Mbps speeds. So it looks like normal http traffic is ok.

The download.com one though is very slow and may be due to Virgin Traffic Shaping.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 12:00:14 AM »

Looks like you're confusing your bits and bytes as well as having some speed issues. To clarify; 1 byte = 8 Bits

So when you run a speedtest and it reports your speeds as 1300kbps, this is the exact same as getting 162.5Kb/S

Quick question mate. Are you using a USB modem or a router? If its the former the I have come across the type of behaviour a couple of times before where the user's PC was both using the wrong type of USB mode (bulk as opposed to isochronous) and had a lot of stuff connected to the USB bus

By default USB1.1 will only handle 12Mb/s half-duplex (Approximately the equivalent of 6mb/s each way) which I guess was causing the buffer to stack up and dump causing the rise and fall in speeds, this is pretty rare though. If you have a mate either with a router they can bring round to test, or even a laptop and different modem, this would eliminate the chance it's your PC causing the issues.

With regards to increasing your overall speed, the best bet is to follow Kitz's troubleshooting for improving your SNR margin, as at the moment I would say about about 75% sure it's not Virgin shaping your traffic as there's no way any sensible ISP would shape traffic within their own network - there's no benefit to be gained from doing it, even shapping HTTP traffic is pretty unusual - most ISP's only bother shaping Usenet and p2p as its common to have to pay the manufacturer of the shaping device per gb of traffic.

Havelock
Pages: 1 [2]

anything