Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unable to access Forum  (Read 5020 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Unable to access Forum
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »

Did anyone else have a problem accessing the forum today from about twenty to three this pm for about an hour. It started with the usual time out message then eventually progressed to telling me there was an "internal server error".  I emailed Kitz on the main site in case she was unaware but I haven't yet had a response. Since there has been no comment since I got back access to the board it must have been a funny local(?) to me. All other sites I tried appeared normal. I was looking at the BBC News site whilst  I couldn't get access and of course I got onto the main site to get Kitz' email address although access here was a bit sluggish it seemed to me. All the preceding waffle is just in case there is a problem no-one else has spotted. I bit unlikely I know but it might be helpful if it recurs.
Tony

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Unable to access Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:37:35 PM »

Yes, we all had the same problem...........fixed now  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »

I expect that the boss will update us shortly. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »

Quick post as Im off out... but hopefully this explains it.

I'm writing to apologise for the disruption caused to your website this afternoon. Our staff were notified within minutes of the disruption and normal service was resumed just under 2 hours later.

During this time you may have briefly been unable to access cPanel and FTP - this was in order to ensure security and system availaibility while the issue was investigated and resolved.

The cause of this disruption was an error with one of the system's log files reaching its maximum size. I have taken the necessary measures to prevent this reocurring and reported the problem to cPanel so they can add a fix for future versions.

Once again our sincere apologies for the disruption this afternoon
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:22:06 PM »

Thanks Kitz :)
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »

Thanks Kitz
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »

Sorry I didnt get chance to respond properly yesterday since I was a bit busy and then had to go out later.  The post above was just to keep you guys in the loop, and although Ive got PMs /emails (thanks for those - appreciated), Ive not had chance to respond yet.

I noticed that forum access was starting to have probs at about 3.30ish and notified my hosts, They responded 1 minute later that they were aware and were working on it.
Unfortunately by this time I wasnt able to post anything up as it appears they took everything out of action whilst they looked for the problem.

I received a resolved email just before 5pm, but wasnt around by then to post anything up.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »

Thanks for the update Kitz.  :)

Your 'hosts' seem to be 'on the ball' 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »

>> Your 'hosts' seem to be 'on the ball'

They do and I like the fact that I can contact them 24/7 and get a response within mins.  Over the past few years Ive been with them, theyve helped through several upgrades as the site has become more busy - doing much of the work themselves and saving me a lot of hassle normally involved when switching to a new server.

It was unfortunate that the something caused the server to have a hissy yesterday - but the fact they responded so quick on a Sunday is not something you'd always get.  Theyre pretty helpful too when it comes to requests for queries on how to do something. 
OK theyre not the cheapest for the type of package I need, and I could get it much cheaper abroad, but they are in the UK and CS always seems to be on the ball so thats worth paying a bit extra for.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »

but they are in the UK and CS always seems to be on the ball so thats worth paying a bit extra for.

Thats true,UK support/customer service is a rare commodity these days.

anything