Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Buffalo WBMR-G54 MRU setting ?  (Read 2769 times)

setecio

• Reg Member
Buffalo WBMR-G54 MRU setting ?
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »

How important is the MRU setting. The Buffalo WBMR-G54 adsl2 wireless router has a default setting of MTU 1400 and MRU 1492, and I was wondering if I only need to change the MTU or if the MRU value needs to be altered proportionately or according to some other calculation.

It was giving problems (unavailable connection or long delays) and I reset it and changed the MTU to 1432 which seems to have fixed the problem.
I'm not sure if it was the reset or the new MTU figure that fixed it but I want to know how the MRU relates to performance, if at all.

Thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Buffalo WBMR-G54 MRU setting ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »

MTU is Maximum Transmitted Unit (i.e. the max size of blocks of data which you send) and MRU is Maximum Received Unit (i.e. the max size of blocks of data which you receive). I can't see any reason why MRU shouldn't be set to the full 1500, but as I don't really understand how these values are used I can't be sure.

I suppose that it might be safer to set them both to the same value (which is what I assume is the case when MRU isn't available as a separate option).
  Eric

setecio

• Reg Member
Re: Buffalo WBMR-G54 MRU setting ?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »

OK thanks. The problems returned so I changed the router and it fixed it.  :)