Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cable specification  (Read 3218 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Cable specification
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »

Hi Ezzer,

As I expect you can answer this immediately.

I'd like to know the proper nomenclature for an old GPO petroleum jellied 4 core cable with a brown sheath.
The Core colours are (probably) White, Orange, Green and Brown.

I'd be grateful if you could also tell me whether it's BT O's policy to replace this cable if ADSL services are on it?

(The house in question is the stable block to a mansion that had the phone number Ewhurst 1 and still uses the original flat twin cable thick enough to boil a kettle and was still using the original black bakelite termination box ! Thankfully that was only a speech and fax line !)

Kind regards,
Walter

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Cable specification
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »

the only cable I can think of that needs replacing as a matter of course is drop wire 3, the grey 2 wire type if the cable is being worked on.

Otherwise regardless of how the cable is dressed then as long as the copper pair used is testing ok then its a case of let sleeping dogs lie.

The block terminal should be ok and shoudn't need replacing unless damaged or found to be causing a specific problem.

Otherwise the only other item thats replaced as a matter of course is if the situation and time allows a non nte5 replaced with an nte5 for a residentual property.

anything