Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Weird Router Problem  (Read 6022 times)

havelock

• Reg Member
Weird Router Problem
« on: March 01, 2007, 11:32:26 PM »

Usually I'm pretty good with router configuration but this has me stumped...Perhaps someone can think of something I missed

A friend of mine has a router, it's a rubbish one but thats by-the-by. He was having some problems getting it to work so i nipped round for "half and hour" to sort it out. 4 hours later and I'm still sat there scratching my head.

Connecting via wired connection, router assigns IP address of 192.168.1.100 (Subnet 255.255.255.0) and Gateway of 192.168.1.1 - All good so far.

Pinging the gateway responds just fine, 1ms response time, so NIC and cable look good.
Try to access the gateway Via Internet explorer, Page unavailable. Checking the browser settings gives expected results (No Proxy, Auto Detect settings disabled, Never Dial a connection) - Just to check, Tried Firefox with the same result.

Aha! Methinks. Router must be broke. I fetch my laptop and test, just to be sure, and the router connects wthout a problem and can be configured fine. Setting the router up is a doddle, and all tests indicate its connected to the internet just fine, connecting at 6.8Mbit.

Surely the faulty item must be the PC then. Disable Firewall software, all AV turned off, Hosts file renamed, (Even tried booting in safe mode with NW support) Same symptoms.

As a last resort, a full system reload was done.....and the fault is still there. AARRRRRRG!!!!

Any thoughts apart from putting the job lot in a microwave for 5 mins would be much appreciated.

Havelock
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:14:22 AM by havelock »

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Weird Router Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »

I recall my Linksys router had a similar problem where both access to the router CP, networked machines and the Internet in general would occur.

Some things would work (e.g. ping or even IM) yet no one could get e-mails or browse etc. It seemed to be the routers DNS server overloading or something and then giving up!

A power off/power on always fixed it for about a day or two.

Someone on here recommended changing the computers DNS server settings in TCP/IP configuration to manual on the and setting the primary one as the ISPs DNS server and then the problems stopped.

That was with five machines connected at the time. However if you only have one or two it would have to be pretty poor to have problems like that. We have a selection of BT routers which I sometimes switch between and none of those have ever had problems with connectivity using automatically acquired settings.

Just thought you would like to hear that just in case it was a similar issue.

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »

Cheers Soms,

Tried using the router as a DNS, Tried using the ISP's DNS and also tried using OpenDNS - All produce the same problem. Think i'm going to try with a wireless NIC to see if the problem persists...

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:57:42 PM »

Just a thought.

Have you also checked the windows firewall is not active?
Although I don't usually use the windows firewall, recently it had reactivated and caused me no end of problems.

(it was possibly not relating to router problems) but might be worth a look.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:03:02 PM »

Cant think of anything new to add Im afraid... you seem to have covered most of it.
first thought would have been firewall too.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:46:05 PM »

Fixed it eventually, just not a clue what the problem was (Checked windows firewall was disabled so that wasn't it i'm afraid).

I ripped the HDD out of the PC, put a new one in and did a fresh install of XP (not from the OEM reload disc my friend had)

Now communicating fine with teh interweb.....

Havelock

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 09:13:11 PM »

Glad you got it sorted in the end havelock..
Bit of a PITA having to a clean  install the o/s to get it working though :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker