Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL test software/equipment  (Read 9749 times)

supercooper

ADSL test software/equipment
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »

Hi,

I work for a small comms company and we frequently attend sites to resolve broadband issues.

I'm looking for some software or equipment that will enable our Engineers to source faults on site.

So far i have come accross some American software that appears to do exactly what we want called "Technicain Dr DSL" but i cant download a trial version nor do i know what routers it is compatible with.

Question is, has anyone used any software that can be recommended?

Thanks in advance, Chris

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL test software/equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:43 PM »

Hi supercooper,

I assume you've heard of JDSU tsest equipment, some of which BT O is evaluating?

http://www.jdsu.com/products/communications-test-measurement/united-kingdom/access-network-test.html

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 03:00:24 PM »

I'm afraid I dont know anything about that tool...

... but it does look awfully like the Sagem F@st USB Modem.
If you follow my link theres some instructions that show you how to install the diagnostic software (provided by Sagem).. and theres also some screen grabs of their diagnostics.

I wouldnt be too surprised if that company have taken a basic Sagem F@st and expanded and rebranded the software.

Sagems name for their software is DSLMon.  Speedtouch do something similar with their USB 330's and their software is called Dr ST
Dr DSL hmmmm?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:03:08 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

supercooper

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »

Hi Kitz,

Funny you should say that about the Dr Speed touch i thought the same.

That American company claims it's software will source out unfiltered sockets on the connection on their site using the software, I know this has been an issue for us in the past missing alarm panels and hidden extenstion etc.  The task i have been given is to find a cost effective solution to confirm eveything on site is spot on internally. 

I have also been checking out the testers that waltergmw has directed me to which look great for the job, only thing is i want to try and keep it as simple as possible for our guys (Dont know how simple they are).  Still these devices are something that my company will consider if the suppliers offer training.   

Cast your eyes on what the American firm claim the software actually does: http://www.aware.com/dsl/techdrdsl.htm

If the testers that waltergmw directed me to (thanks for that btw) do this and are pretty simple to use then they will be perfect.  I better start reading some more into them. 

Thanks, Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »

By the looks of it, it is a standard sagem f@st usb modem, your guys will also obviously need a lappy to plug it into - and display the results.

I'm still not 100% sure how it would be able to pinpoint missing installed microfilters..  unless it 'guesses' based the line stats.

I notice aware also seem to do an all in one unit similar to the JDSU one that walter linked to.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »

Hi supercooper,

The BT guy, who only appeared to be a broadband field engineer, had a chasis similar to the
MTS-6000A Compact Network Test Platform. It had a touch screen menu system which he was using with complete ease.
Our joint criticism was that there were quite a few different leads to plug in which over time could be a source of unreliability for anybody hurtling around the patch.
He also uploaded the line data results to a BT site I expect for evaluation.
He said the unit supported different modules including fibre testing kit - if ever it really takes off !
He thought the kit cost about GBP 3 K.

I'm afraid that's the sum total of my knowledge.

Kind regards,
Walter

supercooper

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »

Hi Walter

That type of handheld device appears to be the way to go for us at the moment. All of our Engineers have laptops so we are still considering the software but the handheld divices appear to have an added extra, "ISDN testing" We have a trend tester which cost us around 7k a few years ago so at 3k with all the required tests, its pretty cheap.

Pretty excited about having a new toy to play with, just need to choose now.  ;D

(Kitz) About the missing filter test, i was wondering how that worked to maybe Ezzer can add something to this as he will most probably have every toy going "some people have all the fun"  :D

Still the overall objective here is to fix faults more efficiently and save our company money, spending 3k on this device would pay for it's self in less than 12months im sure.

Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »

(Kitz) About the missing filter test, i was wondering how that worked to maybe Ezzer can add something to this as he will most probably have every toy going "some people have all the fun"  :D

I notice it says 'Problems are only reported if there is a data rate impact.'
My guess would be that it looks at the sync speed, attenuation and SNR and if the sync speed is lower than would be expected for the attenuation or if the SNR is too low, then it alerts.   Kind of in a similar way as to someone who is used to reading line stats on this forum will say - "sync speed is too low for your attenuation or your SNR is pretty low - check your internal wiring/filters."

The Dr.DSL solution will require your technician to have the software on his laptop and when he visits the premises he will need to unplug their router and plug in the 'sagem modem' which he will then hook up to his lappy, which will then display the linestats on there.
This is exactly what BT engineers used to do when they visit customers home only they would use a ST330 or similar.
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »

We use a lappy with a Voyager 105 usb modem so we're not reliant on a mains power supply. I belive the test software is bt inhouse (the APtS) which will run for 5 mins as standard although I can lenghten that. Will give up/down stream actual data rates,
attenuation,
snrm, (average or live)
Power  capacity
maximum bit rate.

another page for errors

and ppp & ping connection.

The basic inf needed in most cases although it would be nice to have a spectral display showing the bins across the dsl frequencys, would be very handy in the case of REIN.

The woosh tester has loads of info avalable but thanks to ofcom they've deemed that a bt wholesale product so it's been taken off openreach engineers. so we have to call outr help desk who then cann the bou to get this info.
The only other thing I get is sometimes extra previous test info off the REIN team befor getting a known REIN fault.

Oterwise there's our Hawk to test line conditions/faults balances and we can rig it up to test for attenuation loss over a range of frequencies but the APtS takes care of this in 99% of occasions. As an equivalent for yourself a multimeter would be hady for when your checking a customers own wiring set up. An analogue one is handyer than a digital one as you get to see capacitance kick nicely and it shows more clearly problems such as a cable worn due to the fact its run under a carpet. Some one walks over a spot and by the way the needle moves, "Hello..."

supercooper

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »

Ah i get it now :)  

I thought the modem was there as an example  :-[

With the un-filtered diagnostics it would be like hmmm attenuation is 33db and the SNR is only 9db so which socket did i miss??  "Click" ah theres my 30db SNR  :P (based on standard fixed rate DSL)

Dont like to say it but these guys can be pretty lazy when it comes to testing these connections so if this software flashes up a BIG red screen to say "Check the filter and stop thinking about lunch" then that on its own would be helpful  ::)

Maybe they will let me buy in a handheld and the software (with Sagem modem) version, after all we could always do with a backup tester.  

This one seems to fit the bill so far: http://www.jdsu.com/products/communications-test-measurement/united-kingdom/products/a-z-product-list/mts-4000-multiple-services-test-platform.html

Sorry i dont know how to make the link smaller.

Chris

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:14:44 PM by supercooper »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »

Also a rj11 plug to a lead with a pair of croc clips on the other end is handy so you can clip straight on a pair of wires.

I also have an nte5 with a full adsl faceplate witha pair of leads permenently conneted with croc clips on the end. It also has an rf3 innards inside which I've connected to an 8 pole double throw switch which can again clip on anywhere on a pair of wires, mimic's the conditions with an nte and allows me to chaeck any effect of an rf3 at a flick of a switch. I used an 8pole switch so when the rf3 is disconnected it's totaly isolated from the pair and not having any effect on the results which a normal switch may do because in the off position you may have the rf simply tee'd off the pair and still creating an effect so missleading your results.

As for REIN mainly an am radio, I've got the Eton rainproof radio which I got from maplins. battery life is good, comes with a mains transformer, has a wind-up dynamo for the chargeable battery (which also charges off the mains) several connectors so you can charge many types of mobile phones via the dynamo (with the exception of the current one bt issue us :() and comes with a good little case. It even has a torch (which can flash red in an emergency and has a siren which scares the life out of any one who starts playing with it  :lol:)

supercooper

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »

Hi Ezzer,

I know where you are coming from with that, we used to have a radio/torch from Argos and when the battery is low a VERY loud voice booming from the radio "stop using please recharge!!"  Many of times i have walked our trusty dog through some dark field only to have a very near heart attack  :lol:

Siren worked a treat to when you mistake it for the on button on the torch  :P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:18:27 PM by supercooper »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 03:29:29 PM »

Morphy richards do a good model via comet for about £26. again rainproof with a hand cranked dynamo for a rechargeable.

Worked ok till somebody nicked it  >:( hence got myself the natty eton one

anything