Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Verizon launching Wireless Network Extender 25th January  (Read 1866 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Verizon launching Wireless Network Extender 25th January
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:48:10 AM »

Verizon launching Wireless Network Extender femtocell on January 25

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/18/verizon-launching-wireless-network-extender-femtocell-on-january/

Sprint had the jump on this by a few months with its AIRAVE, but Verizon's not far behind in bringing femotcells to the masses with its less-elegantly-named Wireless Network Extender later this month on the 25th. The little black box will puke out a cloud of CDMA covering up to 5,000 square feet of domicile with support for up to three simultaneous calls -- enough for you, the hubby / missus, and little Joey / Susie to all be yapping away at the same time. Like Sprint's solution, the Wireless Network Extender uses GPS to verify that you're not creating little tiny Verizon networks in Laos, Kenya, or Uruguay and plugs into the internet source of your choice via Ethernet. It'll be available in Verizon stores and online starting January 25 for $249.99 -- not a bad deal for Verizon, considering you're saving them the expense of erecting a tower.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Verizon launching Wireless Network Extender 25th January
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »

ouch at the price though :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Verizon launching Wireless Network Extender 25th January
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »

Yes but that's $ dollars don't forget, and when you look at the possible coverage,...............

£169.65 at today's exchange rate (if my exchange program is up-to-date)

anything