Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Add Email Alias ?.  (Read 4093 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Add Email Alias ?.
« on: January 18, 2009, 11:56:12 PM »

Setting up some new email addresses on my ISP account it says "Add Email Alias".

Whats this.?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Add Email Alias ?.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:12:56 AM »

an email alias is the 'name before' the main email address/domain that can be added to email to make separate email accounts for forwarding mail.

For eg if I have the domain mydomain.com and I have a main email mail box set up as me@mydomain.com.

However if I like I can also use aliases such as 'anotheremail@mydomain.com' or 'meagain@mydomain.com' and mail will still be forwarded to me
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:14:38 AM »

Or, another way of putting it is, when you first signed up with your ISP they gave you a initial email address,
mine for argument sake with VM "is similar to" ph01xxxxxx789@virginmedia,co,uk
(which also happens to be my account number, so how stupid is that)

They also gave me the facility to create up-to 5+ more email address's, any of these 5 would be classed as "Alias" address's.
Because they are created from within your ISP account (if they are used), they are then recognised (as Kitz points out) as part of your account.

My original address being, ph01xxxxxx789@virginmedia,co,uk
One of my alias' could also be = AKA (also known as) oldfogy@virginmedia,co,uk

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:43:37 PM »

That's made it clearer thanks. ;)
But how would you set up your emails browser up to receive  them ?, do you just have one set up or one for each alias ? or can you put alias@mydomain.com and they all go to that .
Or do you set the email browser up for each.
eg..me@mydomain.com ,  anotheremail@mydomain.com,    meagain@mydomain.com
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »

Yes, you need to create and input all three (as examples) as new separate accounts in your email browser.
Although only the first part of the account is actually different, "me, anothermail & meagain" everything else will be identical, (IE, POP, SMTP, Ports etc).

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »

I got around to setting some new email address's up on my eclipse account (I can have an unlimited amount) ;D, also I tried some alias ones .
With eclipse all your alias emails only go to your base email address.
So say base@mydomain.co.uk, then alias of base2@mydomain.co.uk would only be viewed in base@mydomain.co.uk and you cannot set up a mail browser to view base2@mydomain.co.uk
Hope you followed that.

anything