Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: O2 Box II WiFi Problems  (Read 3240 times)

JohnJBurness

O2 Box II WiFi Problems
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »

Hi, can anyone tell me how I can instruct the O2 Box to NOT list my WiFi Clients as "Inactive"?

I've been on O2 for a few days & everything seemed to be working (Main PC on Ethernet) & a couple of PCs on WiFi.

Suddenly, despite the Clients reporting that they have a good connection, they are unable to see any of the Home Network (hence cannot print or share files) & they cannot get out onto the Internet.

When I interrogate the O2 Box, via the Ethernet connected PC, it simply states that these Clients are "Inactive".

I've reset the Box, switched it on & off - I've also done similar for each of the Clients but I still get the same circumstances (i.e. Client reporting a good WiFi connection, but O2 Box determining that they are "Inactive" & preventing service!!

I've tried both Administrator & SuperUser Logins to see if there are any options to "release" these Clients.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: O2 Box II WiFi Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:02:58 AM »

If they're inactive it means that the routers not detecting their presence as being connected.

Cant recall exactly how to release them on the o2 box, but something like:-

> HOme Network

Under the wireless section it should then name the lappy name - click on that

Next it should give the laptop info page and this is the one that says status = inactive.

On that page click "Configure" on the top right of the page

A new page will open where you have the option to "delete" in order to release the laptop
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JohnJBurness

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »

Hi, Kitz,

Thanks for the advice, I will try that.

Bearing in mind that I only migrated (hence started using the O2 Box) on Tuesday, plus I've already had to do a number of restarts on the Box already, I think I'm rapidly going to follow some earlier advice that you gave & bring into use my Netgear DG834GT!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »

TBH I really am not impressed with the TG585v7. :(

If youre going to use your DG8345GT then you may find the following useful

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/Netgear_DG834GT_Be_Setup.htm

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

JohnJBurness

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »

Following your advice, I deleted (within the Boxes software) each of the devices that were "Live" but reported as "Inactive". This seemed to clear the problem.

Unfortunately, that didn't last very long!!

To cut a long story short, the "connected" devices were no longer being reported by the Box (either as "Inactive" or "Active".

However, I did notice that the "Clients" were now being allocated IPs in the 169.254.0.x range (should be in range of 192.168.1.x).

After a long, long, long phone-call to O2 support, they have agreed to supply me with a replacement Box.

btw, I did try the DG834GT, but was surprised that it significantly reduced my d/l speed.  With O2 Box I'm getting 18+Meg, with DG834GT I'm getting 15Meg.

Regards,
John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:05:43 AM »

Just out of curiousity did you try hardcoding a specific IP within the 192.168.1.x range to the laptops to see if that made any difference?

I did try the DG834GT, but was surprised that it significantly reduced my d/l speed.  With O2 Box I'm getting 18+Meg, with DG834GT I'm getting 15Meg.

Interesting result - thanks for reporting that, as most users do seem to see an improvement with the DG834gt over the Be/O2 boxes, but I myself find that my supplied BeBox (ST585v6) has the slight edge over the Netgear, and one of the things that I have noticed is that its the longer lines that the Netgears seem to perform better on, and I have been saying for a while that the STs seem better on shorter lines.

Therefore to satisfy my own curiosity do you have any line stats from each of the routers for comparison?

TIA

-----

JohnJBurness

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 04:28:58 PM »

Hi, Kitz,

Currently out in the far reaches of Holland, at the moment!  :(

As soon as I'm back home, I'll try & post the comparative stats! However, that will be at the weekend.

Hopefully, by then, I hope to have the new O2 Box up & running (keeping fingers crossed on that one!!)

Regards,
John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »

:)
-----

JohnJBurness

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »

I've given up on the O2 Box!

Have got the new one, carefully ensured it was in a position of max ventilation (suspected heat was an issue) but it failed after a few days!!

Similar symptoms as before.

anything