Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Friday 16th Chat  (Read 6750 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Friday 16th Chat
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »

Good (late) morning all,
Everyone seems busy today,
Any luck on the computer front TD ?
Just back from the weekly 'big shop' Those prices.  :no:

Enjoy your day whatever you're doing  :)

scottiesmum

Re: Friday 16th Chat
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:10:20 PM »

Allo Allo  !   All   .... 

I hope TD is still   "switched on"   ;D   he was a little earlier .... splashing on his Estée Lauder   ;)   

I've been shopping too Unc  ....  bought some tulips and was just trimming the stems with secateurs , one felt slightly tough, I now have one finger nail shorter than the rest  :'(   I never felt a thing  :-X   ...  made me giggle after the initial aaaaaaaargh  !!!

Not seen Chrissie for a couple of days, hope you are OK....   and that Kitz is feeling a bit brighter !

Have a good day all  !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:16:05 PM »

Morning... ;D

Hope you are all well, especially Kitz, and that the lurgy is disappearing from the scene.

Watch those fingers, scottiesmum, ....wouldn't want you snipping off the clicking one, would miss the suns if you could not post them....( good grief, what am I saying )

PC is as bad as ever, unkyUb.............got about two dozen pics printed yesterday.........soon be finished.  :D

Have a good day.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »

PC is as bad as ever, unkyUb.............got about two dozen pics printed yesterday.........soon be finished.  :D

Have you though about calling in professional technical help.?

Is your computer very old?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:30:39 PM »

The PC is a bit like our grandfathers axe............brand new apart from the five new handles and six new blades.  :D

It is less than a year since it had a new motherboard, processor and RAM modules.

It springs into life in under a minute, all programs work like dreams including my Photoshop..........but although the thing shuts down normally on occasions, on the occasions when I have used Photoshop, it will not shut down................Photoshop has been uninstalled and reinstalled three times now but still the same result.
There is more than enough RAM, scratch discs etc to run Photoshop.........but use it, and no shut down.
I've got used to holding in the power button on the tower for five seconds when it hangs at the "windows is shutting down" bit, and that does the job.
It's just irritating.

The only pro tech help around here is Colin, and the problems all started when he last got his hands on this...............should say that when the old mobo was in, no problem at all with Photoshop.

Computers...I hate them ( love what they can do,  but hate them )

The problem with all this is that I bought a PC when I had to give up my darkroom and decided to go digital with my photoghraphy and Photoshop is the program that I use most...........every day.  :(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:38:58 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »

@TD,Is the Mobo a different make to the old one ?What was wrong with the 'old' Mobo?

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:53:12 PM »

TD  ...    Is this any good for you as an alternative to Photoshop   ??   :fingers:

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:04:49 PM »

Morning - or rather afternoon ;)

I am feeling a little bit better today thanks :)

However I am really annoyed at something that happened last night - after a few days of really nagging pain and dreadful stabbing pains when I went to the loo, at about 4.30ish I took a couple of codeines and by about 5pm I was in lala land and packed myself off to bed.

A friend texted me and said would I be around for a chat later and I responded that I was feeling really drowsy and sleepy after taking painkillers and had gone to bed so perhaps another time.  A few more texts passed during which time I again said I was feeling 'happy drunk' and sleepy.. and then as my eyes where closing I ignored one of the later texts as I was now going into the land of nod. 
What I did not expect was another text 10 mins later saying 'have you gone to sleep' which I ignored as I was warm comfy and in a cacoon.   Then another one 20 mins after that about something else - again totally ignored since I was asleep... until it came through. :-X

But to send another one 2 hours later which woke me up saying 'I take it the drugs have kicked in' - by now I was frigging fuming... because by now the drugs had begun to wear off and I became aware of the damn pain again. :mad:

Yes ok I should have turned the phone off earlier, but I normally leave it on since thats how my daughter contacts me..  and also my dad is quite poorly atm  and having treatment for cancer, so I dont really like switching it off.
I did switch the phone off in the end  - because if I responded to the 8.30pm text I likely would have said something not nice at all.  I took some more painkillers at about 9pm, but I think I was so annoyed they didnt seem to have much (if any) effect what so ever. :no:
Anyhow I took some more at about 1am..  and although I recall a couple of drunken like stagger to the loo a few times..  I actually had a night where I slept for more than 2 hours. :o)

Feeling a bit headachy this am and whilst the kidney pain is still there, its manageable with just paracetamol right now... so hopefully Im on the mend :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »

Some people really are thoughtless, aren't they? Still, it's good to hear that you're feeling a bit better; I hope it keeps on that way. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:59:01 PM by roseway »
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

TD  ...    Is this any good for you as an alternative to Photoshop   ??   :fingers:

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html
If I'm not mistaken the 'Photoshop' that TD uses is the 'expensive' professional version CS2.(of course I might be wrong)  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:10:26 PM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »

Oooooooops   :blush:    well in that case it won't be an alternative at all  !!       Can Photoshop not help at all   ? they may have some "known issues"  ??    I don't really know what I'm talking about now so I shall retire gracefully    ::) ;) 8)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »

Oooooooops   :blush:    well in that case it won't be an alternative at all  !!       Can Photoshop not help at all   ? they may have some "known issues"  ??    I don't really know what I'm talking about now so I shall retire gracefully    ::) ;) 8)

Quote from TD Monday 12th Jan.

It was my Photoshop CS2...............so uninstalled, cleared away all orphan files, cleaned it out the registry, rebooted and re-installed............. two and a half hours on line to Adobe to get it re-activated.............and now it is working like a dream again and TD's wee PC shuts down properly again.

Kate,I wouldn't mention the   :sun: for a day or two if I were you.  :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »

I should read the small print      ;D   Thanks Unc  ...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »

TD  Next time you go to close down your PC after using Photoshop check first in Task Manager to see if its still using any resources in there and if its still using Virtual Memory.

I dont know much about Photoshop scratchdisks - but according to this

Other useful guidelines for setting scratch disks are to avoid using the same drive where your operating system is installed,

It may also be worthwhile trying a defrag of your HDD and also checking to see if theres any temp files left in the scratch disk location as mentioned in that article.

I also just found this where someone appears to be having the same problem as you are

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20981104-XP-Pro-Shut-down-problems-and-Photoshop

where he seems to think its related to pagefiling

With no pagefile the computer handled the PS tasks just fine and shut down with no problems.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 03:46:59 PM »

Ahahahahaaaaa........................paging file.

TD had done the correct thing and set up his paging file on a hdd other than the one PS is installed on, and other than the files-to-be-edited are on, all in line with Adobe recommendations and had then, within PS, had pointed PS at that paging file...............so far so good.
But.......on checking that paging file after reading Kitz's post above I find that I had set the thing at 100 Gb (three quarters about of the hdd size)......naughty. Have adjusted back to the recommended size which is about 2.5Gb max. and will see what happens.

Thank you all for the time and trouble you are all going to to try to help this old duffer, and sorry for hijacking a Chat thread to air my woes.
Pages: [1] 2

anything