Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless Connection problem.  (Read 6399 times)

dave1510

Wireless Connection problem.
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:03:56 PM »

Hi,

I wonder if anybody here can assist me with a problem.

For detail, I have been using Mike's forum at
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-f8/router-on-the-way-out-t172-60.htm#1285

In Summary:
I moved house 6 months ago, and set up my system using a Linksys WAG200G router/modem connected via a BT line and Virgin.net.
I have 4 computers in the house connected to the system
1 Desktop running XP - hardwired to Router/Modem
1 Desktop running Vista HP - hardwired to R/M
2 Laptops running Vista HP - wirelessly enabled (WEP encryption)

For 6 months the system has been fine. Anywhere in the house, I have been able to switch on a Laptop, and the connection has been there at once.

A few days after new year, my daughter noticed that she couldn't get a wireless connection downstairs, I tried with my laptop, and the noticed the same.

I assumed that the wireless section of the Linksys WAG200G had failed. I checked connections settings - all OK.

I bought a Belkin F5D8633. Tried this, but had similar trouble. Back and to to Belkin support and Mikes Forum.
Belkin suggested a Firmware upgrade, and this worked for a day. I thought this was the trouble solved - It wasn't.

I now have tried all channels from 1 to 11 on 2 different routers (1 is best, 4 passable, 6 kicks out, 11 no connection ever)
The Laptops (1 Compaq, 1 Toshiba) are consistently similar. Where 1 is OK, so is the other.

The problem is that if I am downstairs and try to power up a laptop, I get no wireless connections visible.
If I move to by the router, the connections become visible, and will connect (on a reset of the Laptop wireless switch)
If I then go back to where the connection would not start (downstairs mostly) the connection is "Excellent" (98% and 5 bars)(If I am on a channel >4, then as soon as I move away from the area I CAN get a connection, the connection dies) I can live with Ch 1!
If I then were to restart the Laptop, I would again get "No Wireless connections available".

On Mikes forum, the detail of what we've tried, is there, but now we appear to have tried everything, and it's getting to look as if there is something "Environmental" causing the problem. (I have been round my house switching off everything such as phones, AV senders etc, but anyhow, I had all these before)

What can we do now?

Thanks in advance

Dave ??? :( :'(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Wireless Connection problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:56 AM »

Having had a quick scan read through the other thread, it would appear that you have already tried the most obvious things several times over. :/

I'm clutching at straws because on the face of things it sounds like for some reason its not always picking up the signal from the router, but theres a couple of other weird things.

Checklist

- Any Internet security programs that could be interfering with you being able to connect?
- Do the laptops have static IPs assigned - is DHCP on on the router?  Are the IPs in the same range?
- Is there any problems on the lappy if you connect via Ethernet?
- Are you using the wireless adapter software - have you tried letting windows manage your wireless connection?  The windows wireless config is actually quite good and I tend to always use it rather than any wireless card software.
- Is there a wireless off button on the laptop?  On one of mine it was really easy to switch it off my mistake without even realising.  There was also something in the config that automatically switched it off on each reboot.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:14:53 AM »

>> - Is there any problems on the lappy if you connect via Ethernet?
Apparently not.

>> - Is there a wireless off button on the laptop?
Yes, and if turned off and then back on it finds the connection. (when close to the router)

>> There was also something in the config that automatically switched it off on each reboot.
Although this is happening to "both" laptops at the same time I think it may be unlikely "but not to be dismissed"

It seems that the main problem is not being able to connect the laptop's when not in close proximity to the router.
Once connected he can take the laptop/s to a part of the house where previously he could not get a signal and it will maintain the connection until the laptop is turned off.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:28:44 AM »

>> It seems that the main problem is not being able to connect the laptop's when not in close proximity to the router.
Once connected he can take the laptop/s to a part of the house where previously he could not get a signal and it will maintain the connection until the laptop is turned off.

So basically it can only find the network if its in close proximity,  but once connected then the signal is fine there-after? 
Therefore its only the initial broadcast beacon its having problems finding?
Is SSID on or off?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:34:30 AM »

>> Is SSID on or off?

I'm pretty sure it's been tried with it off and on, also been advised to change the SSID name.

supercooper

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »

Hi,

My friend had the same problem with this Router.  I spent some time on it and managed to fix it by turning off all the range boosting etc in the wireless settings page.  Turn everything off and set the wifi to 54g only (unless you have a 11b).  My friend has not had a problem since, oh we tried to full factory reset before this but it did nothing.

Might not be related but i moved his router to a more ventalated place as it was quite hot.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:46:33 AM by supercooper »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:27:10 PM »

Just to clarify, when you have been performing the tests and have seen the problems have both laptops been present and operating in the house?  If so, I'm just wondering if the network card in your daughters laptop has developed a fault and could be transmitting across most of the channels thus causing interference.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Wireless Connection problem. (Solved)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »

Just in case the OP forgets to update this thread it looks like the problem has now been solved.

(Basically a faulty connection on the TV booster)
Full details here:

http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-f8/router-on-the-way-out-t172-75.htm#1302

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »

Well - it's sorted!

In a fit of desperation I turned off the power circuit in the house, (running the router from an extension lead from the cooker circuit!) and guess what - it only worked immediatly!

From here it was turn off every socket, and turn them all on one by one again until it didn't work. (The offending one was the media plate behind the TV)

As with most peoples I guess, there are massive ammounts of wires in this area, and well the process of elimination tracked it down to a faulty TV Booster (I changed this, and everything is back to normal - and is still back to normal this morning.

I would like to thank everybody for being so supportive in this. I have learnt a lot, and if anybody else picks up on this, I hope it helps them.

(It was your post about the washing machine, Anne, that triggered me into thinking about domestic appliances other than AV senders)

Again Thanks - Dave

Thanks for letting us know what it was OF - glad it's sorted :)
-----

dave1510

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:50 PM »

>>>Just in case the OP forgets to update this thread it looks like the problem has now been solved

Well looks like you beat me to it!

... but thanks for the advice everyone.

It is Soooooooooooo frustrating when a problem like this appears, and so satisfying to solve it.

In my book talking problems over always helps, and all these forums are good for that, because someone somewhere will have had the problem before, and this will provide the key for the solution.

Dave :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »

Well looks like you beat me to it!

No offence meant, it's just that sometimes when a problem has been resolved, in jubilation people sometime forget forums other than the original one.

anything