Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: ADSL Max query  (Read 57952 times)

happy37

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL Max query
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »

SLM

Thanks for your reply - what you have said is really helpful to know.....I have made a note of your points, and indeed I will make sure that I will not reconnect 10 times within 1 hour!!!

I intend to reboot my router on Sunday morning, then on Wednesday morning, and then finally on Staurday morning of the following week.....do you think that this will be okay?

Please advise - thanks!!!

Regards

happy37

GunRunner

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 12:14:16 PM »

sevenlayermuddle

Excellent advice about messing around with the line.  I found the best thing was to switch off the router, carry out all the wiring and then reconnect.  By doing that only once, you are not giving false information to the equipment in the exchange.  By the way, for anyone who has the opportunity of going to the LLU provider TalkTalk, I would seriously consider doing it, because once you are with them, you join their company forum as opposed to just a user forum and they will try different profiles (in consultation with you) for you to get the best out of your line.  When I say try different profiles, they do it within minutes of your request as one of the ladies (EmmaL) does it whilst you are online with them.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »

Hi happy37 again.

Wise words from SLM !

Squeezing the last drop of ADSL blood out of the creaking copper is definitely more of an art than a science !

I'd suggest leaving the modem alone unless it locks up and therefore requires re-booting.

Unfortunately you'll see from my example above that the 10 day period isn't the end of the story; without any BT Universal Service Obligation there is absolutely nothing an end user can do, except perhaps spending a fortune ceasing the service and then reapplying.
(There's also very limited ability for the ISP as well.)

Rgds,
Walter

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »

One more comment,

I wrote my last in parallel with Gunrunner's.

Local Loop Unbundling (assuming your exchange is enabled) is slightly different although it still relies on BT Openreach for any repairs to the actual line.

I believe O2 / Be will also attempt adjustments for you. I'm going to stop now as we're straying off-topic !

Kind regards,
Walter

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 12:43:12 PM »

To all that replied.....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for all of kind words of advice - think that I will leave all things well alone to see what pans out at the end of 10 or 11 days time.....then I will pop back and post my new (hopefully better stats).....watch this space..........

Thanks again and regards

happy37

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 01:07:08 PM »

Thanks for your reply - what you have said is really helpful to know.....I have made a note of your points, and indeed I will make sure that I will not reconnect 10 times within 1 hour!!!

I intend to reboot my router on Sunday morning, then on Wednesday morning, and then finally on Staurday morning of the following week.....do you think that this will be okay?

Hi again,

I quoted the 'ten times in an hour' as I've seen that as an 'example of instability' in various BT documents and I suspect it's a sure fire way to upset things, but DLM does appear to be a law unto itself and IMHO you can take nothing for granted.   DLM also takes account of line error rates, for example, as well as the number of times you reconnect.

My own experience was that during my first year or two on DSL Max the occasional reconnect, say a couple of  times in a week, caused no problems.  Then one day I stupidly reconnected ten or twenty times in a few hours whilst trying out different combos of sockets and filters, and paid the price.   DLM appears to have been much more sensitive ever since. 

As long as you're sensible (and I wasn't), you probably don't have to worry toooooo much.

Good luck,
SLM

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »

SLM

Thanks again for popping back with this advice...will pop back in due course to let everyone know how it all goes..........

Regards

happy37

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »

Glad to see you are successfully connected happy37.  I think you are well advised by all the messages you have got here.  It can be quite tempting to keep getting better speeds - and you ought to get the best speed and stability you reasonably can - but if what you are receiving suits your purpose why risk causing problems to yourself?  For your routine browsing and emails a steady connection is important to you and as far as speed goes, once you get above 2Mb you won't necessarily see much real effect on your actual web experience for the kind of things you are doing. :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »

One final thing that some of you might be interested in seeing.
The pictures below are on an installation out in the sticks over 6 km from the exchange using a Thompson TG585v7 router / modem.
This is the best modem I've found for noisy long lines.

K R
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 12:59:51 PM »

Hello everyone

Am now back with a performance related query:-

Bearing in mind my setup (taken from my original post), which is basically as below:-

My phone and other bits and pieces are set up as follows:-

1. Cordless phone - plugged into filter.
2. Fax machine - plugged into filter (rarely used though, and it's only switched on when needed)
3. Sky box - NOT filtered, yet plugged in...reason being that we don't want children in the house pressing the Red button on Sky remotes leading to expensive phone bills. I made a mistake on my initial post by saying that the Sky box was filtered and it isn't. Should I add a filter here even though the phone lead is NOT plugged in?
4. Router - plugged into a filter and then into the phone socket.

I have also noticed that there is a Block Terminal Connector by the front door of the property

From reading on here, I don't know if it's an RF2 or RF3, yet I will get my BT mate to look at it when he pops over to check everything out.....however, more to my point, there are also other extensions in the house that don't have anything plugged into them (no filters or telephony equipment):-

Corridor - Master socket...old BT style, I will check tonight to see what type it is and will let you know.
Kitchen - unused socket
Outside office - 2 totally unused sockets.

What I want to know is, with this entire layout, is there any way at all that I can streamline my ADSL Max connection so that I can try and squeeze the best performance out of it? Can I not hard-waire from the Master socket direct to my router, or something along these lines?

All advice in plain English please!!! - thanks.

I don't think that I've missed any other sockets out...please feel free to add all info that will be useful to me. Also have to add that a lot of this wiring is all fed into a BT RedCare alarm box which is connected inside an airing cupboard...most connected sockets are fed from that. Apart from ripping up carpets again and so on, what's a neat way of working around this?

Thanks once again to all - really is much appreciated!!!

Regards

happy37
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:10:25 PM by happy37 »

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »

General advice is to put a filter on the Sky box

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »

Filter the Sky box.
(they are infamous for messing up broadband) >:D

Ideally, if you have spare filters, double-filter devices in the following priority:
1. Sky box
2. DECT phone
3. Fax

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 01:50:13 PM »

jazz and HPsauce

Sky box - NOT filtered, yet plugged in

Apologies, I'm beginning to misread my own posts!!!...duh!!!

By the above, I mean to say that there is a filter plugged into this socket for the Sky box, yet the box itself is NOT plugged into the phone connector side of the filter, reason being:-

that we don't want children in the house pressing the Red button on Sky remotes leading to expensive phone bills.

Should I plug the box back into the phone socket as I don't want the box dailling out to Sky at all!!!

What would double filtering do? - I double filtered the fax machine previously, and I think that it makes things worse for me as my downstream SNR margin dropped, yet when I went back to 1 filter, all was OK?

Please advise? - any other comments about the rest of my setup, please? Ezzer, for example?

Regards

happy37

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:53:44 PM by happy37 »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »

Bearing in mind my setup (taken from my original post), which is basically as below:-

My phone and other bits and pieces are set up as follows:-

1. Cordless phone - plugged into filter.
2. Fax machine - plugged into filter (rarely used though, and it's only switched on when needed)
3. Sky box - NOT filtered, yet plugged in...reason being that we don't want children in the house pressing the Red button on Sky remotes leading to expensive phone bills. I made a mistake on my initial post by saying that the Sky box was filtered and it isn't. Should I add a filter here even though the phone lead is NOT plugged in?
4. Router - plugged into a filter and then into the phone socket.

Apart from the Sky box (which doesn't need a filter) are these all plugged into one linebox in the one room ? If so what is the layout re. doublers or extension leads ?

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 02:12:45 PM »

Oranged

Thanks for your reply - here goes:-

they are all in different rooms and locations in the house, and are all fed off hard-wired phone extension sockets which are all filtered (apart from the sky box which is not plugged into the phone line)

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

anything