Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Higher connection speed than profile, down to bad wiring...  (Read 7194 times)

beavykins

Re: Higher connection speed than profile, down to bad wiring...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 04:16:16 PM »

well its gone upto 9 again, i thought it was a bad thing because at the same time the noise margin went up the connection speed went down, its the same through the test socket too. its just a shame it currently is 1408 and just below the 1.5mb profile :(

I will leave it a few more days and see what happens.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 05:04:30 PM »

I think you will find that1408 is the top rung of the 1000 kbps and the next step is 1250 kbps for sync speeds of 1440 to 1696 kbps.

So we're back to the original idea to see if you can improve the speed back at the master socket, now the ring wire is completly disconnected.
Sometimes an ADSL Nation integral filter faceplate can help as well.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »

>> its just a shame it currently is 1408

From the sounds of it it seems like your target SNR has increased from the default 6dB to 9dB..  probably a result of the earlier problems just before you removed the ringwire.

An increase in target SNR will have an impact on the maximum speed at which you can sync at.

You have a few of options
1) Monitor your SNRM for a few days to see if your SNRM goes any higher than 9dB giving you some spare and then perform a resync. 
SNRM is normally at its best in the early parts of the days.
2) Leave things alone... if your line remains stable for a supposed 14 days then the DLM may auto reduce you back to 6dB
3) Tweak yourself if your router is one of those that allows it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

beavykins

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »

it was on a 1.5mb profile just after removing the bell wire so i thought that was probably the next level.

I am on a netgear DG834, i don't know how much 'tweaking' i can do with that. A friend of mine gave me DMT tools a while ago which was supposed to let me tweak things but I could never get it to work, whenever I tried to connect it always said 'adslctl: No such file or directory', i tried a few paths but it never worked, maybe because I have an early version 1 router. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help guys.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »

>>> it was on a 1.5mb profile just after removing the bell wire so i thought that was probably the next level.

It possibly may have been...  however the DLM can take an hour or so to catch up on things even downwards... and it is possible that just the one extra connect at the time you rebooted.  The DLM counts the no of disconnects that occurs and sometimes is fooled into thinking that too many means an unstable line.

If you leave it alone for a couple of weeks and things are stable without too many errors, it should auto-recover itself and reset the target snr back down to 6dB.

>> I am on a netgear DG834,

Which uses an AR7 chipset.. but unfortunately doesnt have the adslctl command needed to change the target snr yourself like the broadcom based netgears do.  Hence why DMT tool wont work with it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

beavykins

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 06:07:24 PM »

ah ok, thanks! i searched for hours to find the right path, im amazed nobody mentioned it anywhere else i looked. do you think its worth upgrading the router or?... id imagines its probably ok seeing as my adsl isnt exactly lightning speed.

I will just leave it a few weeks then and let you guys know what happens. I am just doing some pc side tweaks with MTU etc.

Thanks.

beavykins

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »

Hi again,

I left my router on and connected for 2 weeks and there was no improvement. However the last few days I have had to turn it of 2 or 3 times, and each time the connection speed drops. The connection speed is only at     1184 kbps now and the noise margin has risin to 11dbs. Is there anything I can do to get this reset so that it recaculates and doesn't take into account all the resyncing?

Thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »

Depends on your ISP - some are more pro-active than others in attempting to get a target SNR dropped or the line retrained.
Even the better ones sometimes run into problems with BTw refusing to do so. :/

-----

beavykins

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 07:00:30 PM »

Well that's a bit rubbish... I am with BT.
I might as well send an email saying I would like it reset and see if they can do anything about it... no doubt like last time somebody will just phone up saying I have a problem completely unrelated to the one I emailed about and say there is an error on the line like they did last time. Heres hoping though...

Thanks again.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 11:37:51 PM »

:fingers:
-----
Pages: 1 [2]