Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Virtual machines... Advice Wanted Please.  (Read 16819 times)

havelock

• Reg Member
Re: Virtual machines... Advice Wanted Please.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 12:06:31 AM »

XP Pro at the moment mate..though If Ubuntu and Knoppix both keep playing nice i'm seriously considering switching to Linux...

Roseway - Have you any idea how well Windoze games play in VM's in Linux? I seem to remember trying a couple of years ago with WINE but was fairly disappointed with the results and never bothered switching.

Rgds
Havelock

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 01:01:55 AM »

Hi.
Re  > If Ubuntu and Knoppix both keep playing nice i'm seriously considering switching to Linux...<
well I'm in the same mind its also Free and loads of free software.

Re. 'wine' its pre installed in ubuntu have a try.   ;)

Not sure how but I have got VMware server to start up and I have just about installed ubuntu on this test machine.    :)

Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 07:43:41 AM »

Roseway - Have you any idea how well Windoze games play in VM's in Linux? I seem to remember trying a couple of years ago with WINE but was fairly disappointed with the results and never bothered switching.

I'm afraid I'm not a gamer, so I don't know. I'm thinking that USB joysticks might be a problem. There are much better solutions for games than Wine, such as Cedega www.transgaming.com/ (but it costs money) and a few others. The truth is that results are a bit patchy - some games run very well with no difficulty getting them going, and others are a pig to get working. There are lots of Linux games sites where you can get any amount of information.

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 10:49:55 PM »

Update ... I now have ubuntu installed as a guest on a windows 2000 pro base and it works.   ;)
But I still have this start up problem as in my above posts, On the vmware forums there is a script that someone has made to be installed on the windows host at start up to stop the problem.

Does any one know how to run a script at start up ?. on windows 2000 pro (does not have group policy ! ).
Michael
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 11:48:06 PM »

It most certainly does have a group policy! Start / run gpedit.msc and you can drill down through Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Scripts (Startup / Shutdown). You can add the script there.

This will run the script before the logon box appears, just after "Applying Computer Settings".

If you want to do it the more traditional way, i.e. run the script as you log on, you can open the start menu, programs, and then right-click on the "Startup" program group, then select Open from the context menu that appears. In there you can create a shortcut to the script. Then it will be executed when explorer starts and your desktop icons appear.

Hope this helps :)
Chris

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 04:35:34 PM »

It most certainly does have a group policy! Start / run gpedit.msc and you can drill down through Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Scripts (Startup / Shutdown). You can add the script there.

This will run the script before the logon box appears, just after "Applying Computer Settings".

If you want to do it the more traditional way, i.e. run the script as you log on, you can open the start menu, programs, and then right-click on the "Startup" program group, then select Open from the context menu that appears. In there you can create a shortcut to the script. Then it will be executed when explorer starts and your desktop icons appear.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Chris.
I was thinking of the W2K server that sends out the group policies, and has a MMC to set it up and W2K workstations did not have that.

This is from VMware forum.
> You may try to change VMware Authorization Service and VMware Registration Service to a manual start.
> Create a cmd script below and schedule it "At system startup":

> :loop
> ping.exe -n 3 localhost
> net start|find "VMware"
> if errorlevel 1 goto loop
> ping.exe -n 5 localhost
> net start "vmware authorization service" & net start "vmware registration service"

So do I just put this in a Text file.
Michael.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 06:25:48 PM »

That's right, but you can do what I said and edit the local policy on your workstation.

You put that lot in a text file and save with a .cmd or a .bat extension... then you can schedule to run on startup in either way as I detailed above. Doing through the local group policy editor is probably cleaner, since it won't display on your screen when you start the computer up.
Chris

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 12:24:23 AM »

Well I got the script to run ,But It did not work, there's still a known problem with this software on windows 2000 pro.
I can get the VM ware service to run by manually starting it from 'Services'.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:41:30 AM by tickmike »

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 03:22:49 AM »

If you can get it running from a service, you could try creating a .bat file with the command:

net start "service name"

and leaving the file in your startup folder (or putting it in your local policy startup script)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 09:12:43 PM »

If you can get it running from a service, you could try creating a .bat file with the command:

net start "service name"

and leaving the file in your startup folder (or putting it in your local policy startup script)

Hi Havelock.
I had a go at that but got the Event system log error of " After starting, the service hung in a start pending state."
In the Application log "WMI was unable to process the Remote Access performance library due to a time violation in the open function"
But I can start it in 'services' manually.

Now if I include my start up script and the start up script from the VMware forum, it seems to work, but that has added 3 minutes on my boot up (not good ! ).

Michael
Pages: 1 [2]