Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Virtual machines... Advice Wanted Please.  (Read 16815 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Virtual machines... Advice Wanted Please.
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:10:23 AM »

Hello All.
Has anyone played about with 'Virtual machines' ?, If so what.
Is there any free software out there ?.
I use W2K Pro or (just trying) Ubuntu, will it work on these ?.
What can be done with it.?.

Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Virtual machines... Advice Wanted Please.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:27:35 AM »

Ive played with VMware many many moons ago
 - I think the last thing I put on it was when I was testing out XP SP2 before it was public release.

iirc they do a free evaluation copy.

Think mr_chris used to use it a fair bit, but he may use something else now.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 12:52:39 AM »

>>> I use W2K Pro

Virtual PC is free -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

but according to the blurb only works on XP Pro and vista etc

However I just did some digging around thinking there HAD to be a previous version since Vistas only just been released...  and found this if its any interest to you
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6d58729d-dfa8-40bf-afaf-20bcb7f01cd1&DisplayLang=en

PC 2004 SP1 runs on: Windows 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP Professional or later,

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:36:23 AM »

VMware Player and VMware Server are free for personal use now. VMware Server is the best option because it includes the capability to create virtual machine images, whereas for Player you need to find some other way to create them (or get ready-made ones). I use Server on my Linux machines to run a variety of alternative OSs without having to reboot, and it works very well indeed.
Download it from http://www.vmware.com/download/server/ and also grab the excellent documentation.

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 07:23:59 PM »

Thanks for info and links .
I will sort out a spare machine to install, I would think it has to be quite a good spec Pent 3/4 not something like a Pent 1/2 ?.
Do you have to have a basic OS installed then install the virtual software ?.then maybe a second OS ?. Or do you have both OS installed first ?.
Any advice please.
Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 07:52:49 PM »

You install the main OS first, then the virtualisation software. After that you create a virtual machine (basically a big file on your hard disk which looks like a separate machine) and install the guest OS in that. So long as you have enough hard disk space you can have any number of different guest OSs.
You don't need a particularly fast machine for VMware because it doesn't emulate the OS software, only the hardware. So all the software runs at more or less its native speed.

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 08:14:14 PM »

Thanks Eric .
That gives me a better idea of its use, just had a very quick look at the vm ware info, unless I read it wrong I need to use server software for the basic OS ?.
As I'm still green with Linux I have MS Server 2K , so I could use that to test things out.
Michael.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 07:35:57 AM »

I think you must have read it wrong. VMware Player and Server can be installed on any reasonably modern Linux system, and as far as I know on any Windows system (but I've no experience of this). Guest systems can be Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris and maybe others.

If you want to start off with a Linux system then I can recommend PCLinuxOS 2007 http://www.pclinuxos.com/news.php but at the moment it has yet to reach its final release. I'm using the test release 2 version, and it's an absolute delight of stability and ease of use. VMware Server installed in it with no complications at all.

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 06:21:59 PM »

So far so good, Installed the vm server, Installed it on D drive-program files, Its put two empty folders one on C and the other on D drives.
Now this is on a machine with W2K pro has the base os.
How do I install another os ?
Do I some how install it in one of the above folders?.
Help.
Michael.

PS Do I need to download the vm player ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 06:59:38 PM »

You don't need to install Player. I'm not familiar with the Windows version of VMware, but presumably you've now got a menu item and/or desktop icon to run VMware? When you run it you get a reasonably friendly program from which you can create a new virtual machine. After you've done that you can stick an installation CD in the drive and power on the virtual machine, which will take you into the normal OS installation process.

Full documentation at http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/server_pubs.html

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »

Thanks Eric for that link.
 I have been looking on that web site but in the wrong part, I'm still going in through the notes but what took my eyes was.. it was on about putting password in when you first install..I did not ! I clicked skip !.lot of the icons are 'greyed' out !!!.
Do you think I need to register to get these passwords ?. do I need them .?..

Michael.

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 10:20:49 PM »

I've just done a quick install of this app - Registration is free and will likely unlock the greyed out options.

What you'll need to do then is first connect to the local machine when you're prompted, and then create a new Virtual machine using the options to pick hardware types etc. From here you'll basically get a boot screen where you can install any OS you have either on CD, or mount one from a CD ISO image.

Took me about 45 minutes total to get a virtual ubuntu machine playing nicely with pretty much all my hardware. Pretty handy and will mean anything you do on your VM will be sandboxed and unable to mess with your main operting system

Havelock

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:04:58 AM »

I've just done a quick install of this app - Registration is free and will likely unlock the greyed out options.

What you'll need to do then is first connect to the local machine when you're prompted, and then create a new Virtual machine using the options to pick hardware types etc. From here you'll basically get a boot screen where you can install any OS you have either on CD, or mount one from a CD ISO image.

Took me about 45 minutes total to get a virtual ubuntu machine playing nicely with pretty much all my hardware. Pretty handy and will mean anything you do on your VM will be sandboxed and unable to mess with your main operting system

Havelock

Hi Havelock..
 Thanks for doing that it was some help.
I now have a password.
But there was no password screen I could access to put it in, so I reinstalled/repaired still no screen, so I un-installed rebooted and re- installed put password in rebooted opened up 'VM ware server console' still grey out a lot of it.
On opening the VM ware server console' I get a 'select the vmware host you want to connect to' box up, so I set the radio button to 'local' click 'ok' then I get error "There was a problem connecting: 511 vmware-serverd service is not running." Is that because I have not yet installed a second OS ?. Did you get that ?.
As my Brain is worn out can you take me through the steps from when you installed the vmware server (is it version 1.0.1 build 29996 ?) to installing the second os please.
Michael .
ps The base os is W2K pro.

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 07:00:54 PM »

It's probably your main OS which is causing the problem, connecting to localhost should allow you to create new machines, it could be 2k3 isn't allowing vmware to run the startup service (vmware-serverd) it needs to run properly but as I don't use it I couldn't say for certain...

Other than that it sound like you got the install correct and its just 2k3 not playing nicely

Havelock

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 10:58:44 PM »

It's probably your main OS which is causing the problem, connecting to localhost should allow you to create new machines, it could be 2k3 isn't allowing vmware to run the startup service (vmware-serverd) it needs to run properly but as I don't use it I couldn't say for certain...

Other than that it sound like you got the install correct and its just 2k3 not playing nicely

Havelock

Just found the vm-ware forums and its a problem lots of people are having when you use a base windows 2000 system,
What is your base os ?.
Pages: [1] 2

anything