Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Severe REIN interference??  (Read 19007 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Severe REIN interference??
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »

Indeed as waltergmw pointed out, I should have said to disconnect the ring wire. (I have).

Certainly flash your router with the latest available firmware as sometimes newer releases of DSL-related code can have a big effect on performance and stability. Reports of some people's experience with certain Netgear routers' earlier firmware releases have certain similarities.

And of course, beg or borrow an alternative router _model_ for comparison. A Netgear DG834v3 (non-wireless) or Alcatel/Thomson Speedtouch might be a good place to start.

If your router is a wireless model, then that might be asking for trouble? (I forget what you said earlier.)

indigobanana

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »

OK thanks, I tried disconnecting the ring wire. Although i noticed that I had the old Star style wiring in the house - and this is the really odd thing. I could not find a master socket with a capacitor. It just looked like an extension style socket. Anyway i tried removing wires 3 and 4 from the supposedly master box and little white thing, and i carried out a routerstats graph (which didnt save sadly)

However this is what happened, the noise ratio went straight up to 25.5db (about 2/3db better than usual) and after monitoring for 3 hours it gradually decreased, in a wavelike motion, and now at 19:40 its at 19.9db. At this rate, in another 3 hours time it will be down to about 14db!! Does anyone know what may be causing this slow increase in Noise? have i done something wrong with the disconnecting of the bell wire (it seems like it)?! please help!

Jamie
Jamie :)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 09:30:25 PM »

The strongest effect the bell wire will have aginst dsl is in conjunction with the capacitor. The effect your getting now could be just the new balance the wiring has with the bell wire. need to find the socket with the capacitor. start by tracing the cable into the property and following the set up from there

indigobanana

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »

Ah that could explain it.

The strangest thing has happened yesterday....  I was suddenly put onto a DSL Max profile, without any intervention from the ISP or anything! My sync speed was jumping around between 2-5000 kb/s, and is now stable on about 2750 (i cant remember the exact value - i'll paste the router stats when i get back home). Many trains have passed but after checking the IP profile it seems to be on 1750, i think.... however the line seems very stable, and has not disconnected due to trains! I think taking the ring wire out has definately helped as well - I managed to find the master socket, it was in the most weird place.... right at the top of the wall in the entrance (the only way to reach it is to stand on a chair and stretch up!). Anyway i'll monitor the connection and see if anything changes. It's just very weird that the connection is now on DSL Max... I checked Tiscali's customer area and i am definately still on a fixed 1mb package.

Thanks,
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »

>> I checked Tiscali's customer area and i am definately still on a fixed 1mb package.

What are your actual throughput speeds?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

indigobanana

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 04:36:03 PM »

>> I checked Tiscali's customer area and i am definately still on a fixed 1mb package.

What are your actual throughput speeds?

I tried doing a test on the BT Speed Tester, these were the results:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6240 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 895 kbps

Although I think Tiscali has peak time speed issues anyway....

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 04:55:33 PM »

Quite obviously you're NOT on a fixed 1 Mbps service. :)
  Eric

indigobanana

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 05:07:15 PM »

:D certainly not anymore!!

But up until two days ago I was syncing on the fixed 1mb/256kb profile with "FAST" mode on, which i think was the ADSL Capped 1mb Line Profile. Its very weird that it has suddenly changed (although the stability of the line seems to have increased dramatically, odd)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:10:59 PM by indigobanana »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 05:18:27 PM »

IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 895 kbps

Although I think Tiscali has peak time speed issues anyway....

Looks like a tiscali problem there..  I was on their forums earlier and its pretty damn obvious there is problems.
I got slapped wrists -  despite making technically correct and non-derogatory posts and have very politely been asked to refrain from doing so.  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 06:09:54 PM »

HI

Kitz its not on giving people GOOD advice (not the tiscali way at all)  :lol:

Regards Jeff
zen user

indigobanana

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »

Aww, i'll stick up for you Kitz!! I think you give great advice!!  ;D Silly tiscali!

indigobanana

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »

Just an update (yep sorry its almost 3 months later...!  :-X)

I recently purchased a new router - the Netgear dg834g v3 . It has been so much better, the Voyager 2100 really was trash. Also trains never seem to disconnect the line anymore, even though the noise margin often goes to 0db or even 2854754848 or what ever the crazy value is for a negative noise margin. Target SNR is about 12db as well, at least i think, but at night it normally stays around 9. so i think the REIN is still causing a fluctuation of about 9db - but this is much better than before.

Heres the basic stats:
ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    5632 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    48 db    13 db
Noise Margin    8 db    19 db

Also the line attenuation changed dramatically when i swapped routers, which is one sad point, it used to be about 40db and now its 48db?! :( Maybe the netgear is reporting it more accurately? I dont know your thoughts on that...

Jamie  :)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »

ocasionaly I've seen wildly differing stats between different bit of kit. With the voyager did you notice any excessive heat once it was on for a while. It's normal to feel some heat near where the power lead comes in but if it felt hot all over, (need to place your hand on the base as well as the top.

Simple rule of thumb if it were a cup of tea/coffee whould you still drink it, if yes, there's your problem the router

indigobanana

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 11:01:16 PM »

ocasionaly I've seen wildly differing stats between different bit of kit. With the voyager did you notice any excessive heat once it was on for a while. It's normal to feel some heat near where the power lead comes in but if it felt hot all over, (need to place your hand on the base as well as the top.

Simple rule of thumb if it were a cup of tea/coffee whould you still drink it, if yes, there's your problem the router

Hmm from what i can remember there was quite a bit of heat, i think the voyager had what looked like vents in the top and some heat was coming out of there. Also, it had additional problems like thinking 192.x.x.x was in internal domain, whereas this should be 192.168.x.x

An example: adobe.com [192.150.18.117]
it never loaded.... but now it works on netgear yay :) I tried to email BT support about it but they said they no longer supported the 2100... anyway this seems to be a much more stable router, the voyager would often loose sync at ~6db noise margin, and did not support ADSL2+ (although it may be years until it arrives here in the wilderness of Cumbria.)... but I guess at 48db attenuation not much would change anyway?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 11:42:08 PM »

should never notice heat on a router, the fact you remember that means that there's a good possibility the router may have been the problem.

I once went into an estate agent on a fault, thery where all on the phones and pointed toward the comms cabinet. The router was in between a load of other kit soaking the heat up, I pulled the router out placed my palm on it and thought, there's the problem. They commented after "god your good! just place your hand on thet thing and it now works, how do you do it"  :lol:

Of course I had to tell them. shame, would have loved to leave the place with them thinking "if ever we get an engineer out again bring some tarot cards"  :lol:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything