Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Compulsory Broadband Migrations  (Read 3747 times)

havelock

• Reg Member
Compulsory Broadband Migrations
« on: February 01, 2007, 12:36:29 AM »

I think most people on this forum will already be awre of this, but I couldn't find a post and thought i'd post a 2 week reminder;

As of February 14th 2007, OFCOM brings into effect its regulations regarding Enabling Consumer Choice [http://ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/migration/statement] - which means that provided you are out of contract your ISP has to issue you with a Migration code (within a reasonable ammount of time) FOR FREE (General Condition 22: Point 1.14) regardless of whether you owe money on your account or not.

Breach of this regulation means you can (after following your ISP's complaints policy) report them to Ofcom and the Ombudsman (Usually OTELO or CISAS) - whoever takes on the case charges your ISP ~?350 and will likely issue you a migration code themselves.

Rgds
Havelock

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Compulsory Broadband Migrations
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 12:56:21 PM »

Thanks for that havelock - it has to be pointed out that this new regulation does not free someone of any money they owe to their old ISP... they can still chase you even if you've migrated away.
Chris

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 02:53:03 PM »

Correct, they can and will pursue via debt collection agencies, often over trivial amounts.

However it does (or should) stop certain ISP's charging an "Administration fee" for generating MAC codes, or trying to threaten that you'll be without Broadband for several weeks if you want to cancel.

Rgds
Havelock

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »

Oh yes... which is very welcome news for a lot of customers on ISPs who traditionally haven't ever offered MAC codes *cough* Tiscali, Tesco, etc..
Chris

rireed3

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »

I should read this myself, but someone posted that they can still charge you when your new ISP issues the migration order.

Richard