Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: BT to scrap 0870/0845 Charges.  (Read 31396 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: BT to scrap 0870/0845 Charges.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 11:46:34 PM »

One of the first questions I try to ask people when phoning them is "What's your Freephone number"
You will be surprised at the amount of companies who do have one.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 07:10:16 AM »

Press release:

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=e501c5ef-11a2-4779-a932-177450ecd870

*excludes ISP dial-up numbers and indirect access numbers. Full details at bt.com

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:03 PM »

I'm not sure if this needs clarifying or not.
Are they (now) saying that you need to be on the "Anytime" tarrif to qualify for the free calls?
(because that's the way I read it)

At £4.85 per month you could make a lot of 08 calls, so it's not really free is it!

An Anytime customer will now get their calls to these numbers for free – as well as all their calls to UK landlines and great rates on mobile calls – for just £4.85 a month.......

“All of our 14m calls customers have free calls included in their package

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 12:10:39 PM »

Yes you do have to have the relevant package depending on what time you make the call
eg if you want the free calls 24/7 then you need Anytime
or if you have Evening and w/e package then the free 0845s are only at those times.

An Anytime customer will now get their calls to these numbers for free – as well as all their calls to UK landlines and great rates on mobile calls – for just £4.85 a month, which works out at less than the cost of a second class stamp a day.

A customer who is on the Evening and Weekend package will get their 0870 and 0845 calls for free, as well as their UK landline calls, after 6pm every day and all weekend.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »

> if you have Evening and w/e package then the free 0845s are only at those times.

So basically not as good a deal as it's being portrayed as.

As it is said that most of these type of numbers are mainly used by businesses, (especially Banks and Hospitals) so after 6PM and week-ends is not much good.

Unless people really study the fine print they could be paying for a package that is not all that useful to them..

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 12:47:36 PM »

You can usually phone your bank after 6pm,but you usually can also find an alternate number.I am with First Direct and as well as having 0845 you can use the 0113 (Leeds) number to call them.I have the 0845 on my landline and the 0113 on my mobile.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »

And by now you're probably all aware of the "sting in the tail"....... :(

Significant price rises from 1st April - like £1/month on rental.  :o

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »

:o   >:(

And they are scrapping the "Friends and Family"scheme.

http://tinyurl.com/4boxqr

8p call set up charge and 4.5ppm in the dayime.1minute call = 12.5 pence.  :no:

Only 8ppm on Asda Mobile.

http://www.asda-phones.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:04:20 PM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »

Friends & Family

From 1st April 2009 The current discount scheme which reduces the cost of calls to a small number of telephone numbers will no longer apply.

Not a nice sting in the tail at all. :-X

I dont like the way which they are doing the 12/18 month contracts either.  They are not a true 12 month contract once your year is up then you can cancel, but if you dont, then youre automatically signed up for yet another year.  That shouldnt be allowed.  :mad:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »

So all the hype with regards to "Free Calls" basically is just a smoke screen to avert people away from what is really happening.

It will be nice to see what sort of information will be sent out along with their bills!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:21 PM »

once your year is up then you can cancel, but if you dont, then youre automatically signed up for yet another year
I don't like it either but from what I've read they are supposed to contact you to find out whether or not you want to renew, so it's not totally automatic.
When (if) they do that I will just ask them to put all the terms in writing including the benefits and downsides (including cancellation charges) and see what happens.... ;)

If I read the terms correctly, having been a customer for some time, the most they could realistically ask me for as a cancellation charge would (should) be £8. I certainly wouldn't pay any more.

PS I'm on "paperfree" billing and got an email yesterday about the changes.

Edit. This is what the BT web site says about the 12-month contract (if you choose to take it and save about £1 per month):
12 month renewable contract. This means you have a 12 month minimum renewable period. So, after 12 months, your contract will be automatically renewed for another 12 month minimum renewable period unless you tell us otherwise. We'll write to remind you when your contract is nearing the end of a renewable period.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:02:33 PM by HPsauce »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 03:07:20 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »

The figure dwarfs the savings being introduced by BT as part of the changes.... /snip/... estimated to be way in excess of £250million.

Yes I did wonder about that and how much it would save them.   
Something that crossed my mind the other day was this would certainly affect those users still on dial up.  I know I had my dial-up ISP as my 'best friend' which saved 20% - which was quite a lot.

In these times when economists are talking about price falls, it is extraordinary that BT is imposing inflation-plus price rises on millions of people.

Exactly!  I think its appalling.  Shame on you BT.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »

Switching over to the Post Office is looking increasingly tempting.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »

Its only pure laziness on my part in the past thats stopped me from taking mine to Plusnet which is £9.75 pm for eve + w/ends.

Just had a look at the post office prices- also seems a good deal @ £10.72 for eve + w/ends, but I can see anything if that includes caller display?

Plusnet doesnt inc caller display but you can add it on so that brings it to about  £10.72, but the bonus is that PN is only a one month contract.
Both of these packages will now save me £3.20pm  on Bts new pricing so now BT are mucking about its about time I gave it serious consideration.

Just as an aside and worth mentioning -  you cant order PN home phone online unless you have your adsl with them. 
However even if you dont use them for broadband it can still be done at that price -  contact one of the reps via this forum mentioning my name and they will process it manually for you.

-----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4