Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LAN connection on boot up  (Read 7744 times)

BryanL

• Just arrived
    • Cropredy Village Website
LAN connection on boot up
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »

Can anyone possibly help a Silver Surfer with this one? Quite recently on boot up, which brings the desktop, the taskbar and the system tray icons into view very rapidly (perhaps 10 seconds or less from the Welcome screen) the LAN connection icon takes simply ages to appear (perhaps a minute or more). I am fairly sure the whole lot used to arrive at one and the same time a few months ago.  Is there an obvious fault or has some reader had this problem themslves? I would be very grateful for a solution.
BryanL.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: LAN connection on boot up
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:18 AM »

Hi Bryan,and welcome to the forum.

Is this happening every time you boot up or now and then.The reason I ask is on the odd occasions My LAN icon hasn't loaded ,,but after a restart it comes back.
What opearating system are you using?

BryanL

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:42:43 PM »

Hello Uncle B.  The slow boot up is happening EVERY time I boot up and I assume I am not connected until it appears in the System Tray.  When I Hibernate (as opposed to a total Shut Down) on re-booting the LAN connection appears immediately. I am using Windows XP Pro and have 5 programs in my Start Up list viz. AVG - OO Defrag -OOPCTFW (PC Tools Firewall) -T.Clock (a superior time/date clock as opposed to the bog standard Windows one) and ctfmon.exe. There is no program there that relates to a LAN connection - should there be?  I always assumed that a Broadband/router connection 'stood alone' so to speak.  I am grateful for your interest.  As I say the slow connection is not the end of the world but it used to be very rapid and now is somewhat irritating.
BryanL

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:11:31 PM »

Check that all the cables are plugged in securely - they sometimes work loose.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »

Although it's probably frustrating but providing it works is the main thing.

What it may be is due to "possibly" a program that you have installed at some time that is loading in the background but taking a little longer to load and hogging the load sequence until the program has completely loaded.

One of the main problems with this type of problem is possibly not knowing for sure how long it's actually been like this, it may be it's been happening for some time but you have only just noticed it, so it's not easy to pin-point the offending program that may have been installed.

When coming out of standby all the programs have been and are still loaded, so no, the problem should not occur at that point.

What you could try is to disable programs in the start menu, by dragging them out of the start menu (do not delete them) into the normal list of programs, "you can always drag them back later" to see if that helps.

Or, by going into the "System Configuration Utility > Startup" option and again disabling them one-by-one (just remove the tick from the check-box) to see which one may be causing the problem.
You can access this by typing "msconfig" (without the " " ) from the Run option of the Start menu.

Start with the programs that you recognise and would not matter if disabled.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »

You could try a utility like Startup Manager: http://startupmanager.org/about/
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

BryanL

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:41:03 PM »

Well, thank you all for your helpful comments but I don't think between us we have found the answer. As long as it works (don't fix it) is probably the best advice.  I don't think the 5 programs I mentioned are really relative here as they arrive in the system tray very quickly. I already have a useful little program called Quick StartUp installed and this is doing its job correctly. Perhaps I shall have to use a bit of patience and not be such a Grumpy Old Man!
BryanL

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 12:06:48 AM »

My only line of thought is, have you installed windows SP3 recently?

I have several computers and those since installing SP3 on them definitely are not as quick as they used to be with loading programs, including start-up programs.

BryanL

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »

Old Fogy
Yes - SP3 is installed but this has been present ever since it was first made available.  It is only in the last couple of weeks or so that the LAN connection appears to have slowed up. I did a little timing exercise this morning. From hitting the power button on the base unit through Windows XP start up progress screen - Welcome Click on your name - until the usual 3 icons arrived in the system tray, took 40 seconds. The arrival of the LAN connection icon in the system tray took another 55 seconds to arrive after this.  I am not sure what the average time for all this loading is supposed to be? Perhaps I am trying to run a bit faster now I am getting older?  Thanks again for your interest and help.
BryanL

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:55:12 AM »

Maybe your anti virus is scaning on startup now and it never did before.

I know mine (AVG) slowed my startup down so I turned off the startup/auto scaning option.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »

I just timed this particular PC at, 57 seconds to the windows desktop plus another 23 seconds for the lan icon, that's a total of 79 seconds.
Not exactly the fastest time, whereas one of my other PC's will completely boot in about 30 seconds from cold.

However, it will depend on what programs are also starting in the back-ground and also the spec of your PC.
So I don't think yours it that bad.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 03:02:47 PM »

Mine slowed up quite a bit after I upgraded to Open Office 3 as some elements were auto-launched at startup in order to speed up the program opening when launched from the desktop.  I found this a bit of a nuisance but simply switched off the "install on launch bar at start-up" option.  The previous version of Open Office had never caused me this slowness problem - either because it was different or because I'd disabled the launch bar option some time ago and then forgotten about it!! :-\

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »

Bryan, the LAN connection icon - is it definitely the Local Area Connection icon or is it the Internet Gateway icon?

The reason I ask is if it was the Internet Gateway icon, this is when Windows recognises the universal plug-n-play functionality of your router, and can often take a while after bootup for some reason. However you can still use the Internet without problems even if this icon is not in the taskbar.

Can you use your computer normally and get online before the icon appears, or will the computer not go online at all?
Chris

BryanL

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:06:56 PM »

mr chris
You have lost me here - I don't actually know what  an Internet Gateway icon is let alone what it looks like or does? The LAN connection icon which I have in the system tray looks like 2 wee screen monitors, one sitting on top of and to the side of, the other. I haven't actually attempted to go on line until that has eventually arrived in the system tray.  When I hibernate the system, on booting up again I get a balloon message attached to this icon telling me it is not connected, but this is rapidly replaced with one which says LAN Speed 100.Mbs Status: Connected. I have therefore got into the routine lately of only going for a complete shut down when I have finished at the end of the day - at other times hibernating.
BryanL