Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Dead" extension sockets  (Read 4154 times)

PortyAL

"Dead" extension sockets
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:47:44 PM »

Hi

As mentionned in a previous thread I've been having problems with my ADSL speed. However I now have another problem on which any advice would be appreciated. I have 6 internally wired extension sockets internally wired off the main phone socket in my house. All sockets were working with 4 in use at the one time. My daughter plugged a phone with no filter into a 5th socket. I removed it within seconds, but since then 5 of the extension sockets are "dead". I have tried unplugging all phones and testing each socket with a phone and a filter which I know works. The only 2 sockets that work are the main socket and one extension in the kitchen.

I don't particularly understand how internal phone wiring works, but I would have thought either all extensions would work together or none at all, but I have one extension still working. I can survive ok phonewise with this situation, but my ADSL router is now in the kitchen which messes up my home network.

Any advice on what has happened or how to resolve the situation would be greatly appreciated.

AL

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: "Dead" extension sockets
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:13 AM »

Hi Al,

The only thing which can cause this is a dodgy connection somewhere. There's nothing fancy about telephone wiring - it's just wires going from socket to socket and pushed into terminals at the back. First I suggest that you get yourself an IDC connection tool; a cheap one from B&Q or similar will do fine. It's just a sort of plastic (or metal) fork thing which you use to push the wires into the connector terminals. Then take off the front of each socket in turn and look for a wire that's come loose. When you find it, use the tool to push it firmly into place - you should be able to work out from the other wires/sockets which colour goes to which terminal.

Eric
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:44:47 AM by roseway »
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:58:21 PM »

As Roseway has pointed out the problem is more than likely a broken connection.
And your daughter plugging in another phone when the fault happened is probably just coincidental.

Ideally you need to follow the circuit from the beginning.
Most "but not all" systems run from the main socket to the next one, then onto the next one, and so on.
"Main - Kitchen - 3rd - 4th - 5th - 6th socket"

The chances are, the break in the connection is between the kitchen socket and the next one down the line.

So you need to find which is the next socket after the kitchen socket, first.
(Don't discount the kitchen socket) the broken connection could even be there.

With the "IDC tool" check all of the connections carefully.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:00:03 PM by oldfogy »

PortyAL

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »

Thanks Eric / oldfogy

Came to the same conclusion as oldfogy that the fault was in the kitchen socket. Opened in up, pressed the wires in a bit and hey presto all sockets now work! Router now syncs at 3264kps (a slight improvement from the previous 928kps!). I've discovered, however, that 2 of my filters are faulty. Is there any particular good quality filters you would recommend?

Thanks again for your help.

AL

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »

If you feel comfortable using an IDC tool then fit a SSFP - I.e. a faceplate with the filters built in. It will restrict your broadband socket to one wall jack only but are easily the most reliable type of filters - it also means the rest of your sockets don't need filtering. You can pick these up on solwise.co.uk for about £12

Next down the list would be ADSLNations XF-1e microfilters- they retail at about £8 per filter but i'm sure you can pick 'em up a bit cheaper on evilbay if you shop around.

Rgds
havelock

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 05:00:59 PM »

It will restrict your broadband socket to one wall jack only but are easily the most reliable type of filters

Although not my field I'm afraid, but Havlocks'' suggestion sounds good providing the PC is not going to be moved around from room to room.
And you only have the one PC.

Otherwise, I'm glad the original problem is sorted.

anything