Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line Stats Correct?  (Read 2862 times)

tricky106

• Just arrived
Line Stats Correct?
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:54:51 PM »

Hi

Hoping to get some help reagrding a broadband connection.

Currently with Eclipse broadband but are getting sppeds o 0.3kbps downstream and roughly the same upstream.

The service is an ADSL Max service of upto 8mbps.

The line is about 4km 4.5km from the exchange.

The router is a Safecom router and below are the stats from the router.

Downstream                Upstream 
SNR Margin 17.3          24.0 dB
Line Attenuation 55.6  28.0 dB
Errored Seconds 12     0 
Loss of Signal 1           1 
Loss of Frame 0           0 
CRC Errors 7                0 
Data Rate 3264           448 kbps
Latency INTERLEAVED INTERLEAVED 

However the connection speed is always between 0.2kbps and 0.4kbps downstream and around 0.3 and 0.4 kbps upstream.

The upstream seems normal but the downstream doesn't.

When Eclispse was setup i could get speeds of 3.7mbps during the 10 days the modem was left.

Prior to Eclipse i was with Euro1net with their 1mbps service and the speeds were really good for a 1mbps connection, they however went bust and i moved to Eclipse and apart from the initial period have had slow speeds with them for the last five months.

Are the stats from the Safecom mode normal?

I did check the Bt checker and it said for normal broadband we could get upto 512kbps (used to say at least 1mbps) and that we can get ADSL Max with sppeds of 500kbps or more.

I have had afster speeds before, 3.7mbps was achieved when with Eclipse at the start but this has dropped to 0.3kbps.

Any help would be greatly recieved.

Robert

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Line Stats Correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum.

You've got a downstream sync rate of 3264 kbps, which is quite good for 55 dB attenuation. Is the connection stable at around this figure, or does the router resync at a much lower speed at times (e.g. at night)? You might have a low IP profile as a result of periodic low-speed resyncs, or you might have a stuck IP profile. Or you might be the victim of serious congestion or ISP profiling limiting your speeds.

You can check your IP profile at http://speedtester.bt.com/ but be patient - it takes an age and it often ends up telling you it's busy and to try later. If your IP profile is 2500 or thereabouts then it's either congestion or something Eclipse are doing.

Eric
  Eric

tricky106

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »

Hi

Thanks for that, did the speed test and here are the results.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3072 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 63 kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.

Does this indicate an ISP issue?

I haven't done test 2 yet, should i do this and see what the result is?

Robert

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »

Not neccesarily Robert, it could be it could be exchange contention, a line fault, your PC or a problem with your ISP. If Kitz's contact at BT is correct your speedtest should have prompted you to connect to the internet with a different username and how to speedtest again...similar slow speeds on the speedtest_domain login would have proved the fault is definately not with Eclipse and is one of the other causes. I'm not sure if this functionality is actually working yet as I'm on a Cable line and so can't test it from home.

If you nip to http://users.plus.net/exchanges/ and stick your postcode it will give you a ROUGH idea of how contended your exchange is. If its Red then its over contended and you can try getting eclipse to raise a BT fault for you.

Also ensure you've run a fully updated antivirus scan and a separate anti-spyware scan to ensure your PC isn't downloading or sending information when it shouldn't be.

Regards
Havelock

anything