Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 37,000 people cannot be wrong.  (Read 2207 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: 37,000 people cannot be wrong.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:23:22 AM »

It rather looks as though Tiscali may have thrown away their last chance of a good deal. It's difficult to see any other company which would be prepared to pay more than Sky were offering. If I were a Tiscali customer I would be looking at getting out as quickly as possible.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »

Thanks for posting that TD, I did hear about it yesterday but wasnt even up to dragging myself to the PC to post.

So thats now Vodafone, then Talktalk and now sky that were all serious contenders but all have all pulled out of the purchase.
Reading between the lines it doesnt look like the books are in too good of a shape - or else why would these companies pull out at the 11th hour.

The loss of a huge amount of customers, and the fact that their pipes are full to capacity with no sign of increasing them back to a decent level doesnt bode too well either. iirc there accounts are showing net losses.

ATM I cant think of a UK based company that would be interested.  Perhaps VM, but I dont really think so.  02 - I hope not.  BT- the monopolies commission wouldnt let them.  Orange?  they have their own network - maybe not?  A foreign outsider? possibly.

I notice that article states that

Tiscali has been on sale since May 2008 and Carphone Warehouse, BSkyB and Vodafone were amongst the potential suitors for the business although only BSkyB was left in the race.

But thats not quite true - since May all the major players have pulled out.
But the reality is that Tiscali has actually been up for sale since December 2006. - Looks like no-one is seriously interested atm.

Sunday, 17 December 2006

Tiscali, the giant Italian internet company, has put its UK division up for sale with a price tag of up to £600m.

linky

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »

""Tiscali hasn't been doing too well having lost 37,000 customers from June to September ""

and no doubt many more will go at the first opportunity. when you get this during peak times

on a line that  syncs at 5Mbps  ,and they can do nothing about it
zen user

anything