Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Enta to reduce off peak hours  (Read 2351 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Enta to reduce off peak hours
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »

Entanet are to reduce their off-peak hours to bring them in line with their adsl2+ off peak hours with effect from 2nd Jan 2009.
This will affect users of UKFSN, ADSL24, Vivacity and other resellers.

Current off peak hours are
Mon -Thurs 22:00-08:00.
weekend off peak from Fri 22:00 until Mon 08:00

New off peak hours will be 00:00 to 08:00 7 days a week.

This is a copy of an email sent to Enta Partners

The purpose of this email is to inform you of an important change to Entanet’s existing ADSL products.

Starting Midnight, Friday 2nd January 2009, the off-peak period for all Entanet’s ADSL products will operate between 00:00hrs and 08:00hrs, 7 days a week. Peak hours will therefore operate between 08:00hrs and 00:00hrs, 7 days a week. The new peak and off-peak operating times are being implemented to bring the ADSL products in line with Entanet’s ADSL2+ products.

Where your customers are billed by Entanet we will advise them of this change by email on Friday 19th December 2008. Where you bill your customers directly, we recommend you advise them of this change as per your own terms and conditions, noting the date from which the change will apply.

Whilst the above probably wont affect their lower users, it could impact on those who currently rely on the weekend off peak to say within the hard cap.

Quite frankly the move isnt too surprising, over the past few months its not been unusual to see some of their centrals to go down to the minimum ALT figures, during weekends and off-peak hours. 

Over the past few months observers of Enta, will have also noticed that other changes have been happening too.
~ The Alt reduced from 2Mbps to 1Mbps.
~ Slower speeds reported during the peak times
~ Enta changing their set-up so try overcome the central pipe allocation.

Theres also been concerns raised over the fact that long promised new centrals (7+8) havent appeared as yet.
I havent been tracking the time scales but originally central 7 was supposed to have been scheduled for February 2007

The following is a quote from their Chief Technical Officer about 14 months ago.

Anyway I just asked BT to turn up the next 155Mb segment on Friday, so that should make the problem go away for a while longer.

That leaves us with 6 * 155Mb segments to last until central 7 gets here around the beginning of February and at about 1 every 3-4 weeks we should be OK. We will also have the first few exchanges of the 21cn roll out by then.

In all fairness to Enta, there have been delays and problems with 21CN that were outside their control, but the majority of these should now be resolved.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Enta to reduce off peak hours
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:08 PM »

Please note that the following comments are my own opinion

IMHO that whilst bad news for some of the more heavy users, it should hopfully be better news for those that are more lighter users.
Its not unusual to see trends occur when heavier users move over en-masse to an ISP.  In fact Ive seen it occur with several ISPs right back to 2004/2005 starting with Pipex/Plusnet and its happened with several more since:

~ The ISP offers what seems an attractive package, they get lots of heavy users,
~ the centrals start to suffer, the ISP makes some changes, centrals still suffer, they make some more changes
~ users complain en-masse and the heavier and more vocal users move on and call said ISP the worst ever.

I am hoping that the new changes will mean better service for the more moderate to light users.

One of the very things that put me personally off enta is their ALT system.  I'm not a p2per and can cope OK with a 30GB cap.  Many people wondered how I coped with my ex-ISP but for me it wasnt a problem, and most things I wanted to do came down at 7Mbps.  With the ALT I would have seen severe restrictions on all my traffic.
But conversely I understand that some dont like p2p type traffic shaped during peak times - its all about choice and what suits our own needs best.

Whilst there will be moans and groans from certain quarters about the new restrictions, at the end of the day, Central bandwidth is expensive for the ISPs and at some point or other the ISPs have to ensure that all their users get a decent service.

Enta still need to do something about those long overdue centrals though.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »

After much debate this has been postponed until 19th of January.

The reason quoted on isp review

The change, which was originally due to take effect from 2nd January 2009, gave Entanet's clients very little time to adjust their products and appeared to cause some considerable frustration among many end-users too.

Entanet quickly responded by delaying the change until 19th January 2009, thus giving a fair 30 days of notice. However a new customer service update from the founder of Aquiss, Martin Pitt, states that the adjustment has now been put on hold pending further discussions:

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »

As far as I know, Entanet lose money on their Max service, because a lot of users take advantage of the generous download allowances. It's no surprise that they're trying to rein it in a bit.
  Eric

anything