Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Home Hub - Slower Than Netgear DG384? Why ?  (Read 5344 times)

00jamie00

• Just arrived
BT Home Hub - Slower Than Netgear DG384? Why ?
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:47:37 PM »

Been with BT for a few years , and always get speeds of around 6mb.  Recently Bt sent me a new Home Hub 2 , so I thought i'd use it!

Well set it up, and my speeds are approx 2/3 mb?  :(

I unplugged it , ran the same test with my old Netgear, and got 5/6 mb on a few different test sites? ;D

Tried my BT Home Hub again, and guess what  -  2.3 / 3mb ???  :(

Needless to say I now using my Netgear, and the Home Hub can stay in it's box !!

Anyone had this same issue, and anyone know why this happens?

Cheers,

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Home Hub - Slower Than Netgear DG384? Why ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:21:28 AM »

Its actually quite a well known fact that some routers do perform much better than others, either for stability and/or sync speed.

The Netgear routers - in particular the DG834 G/GTs - are one of the best performing routers on long lines.
.. and unfortunately, the Home Hubs have their own reputation...  :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »

Its actually quite a well known fact that some routers do perform much better than others, either for stability and/or sync speed.

The Netgear routers - in particular the DG834 G/GTs - are one of the best performing routers on long lines.
.. and unfortunately, the Home Hubs have their own reputation...  :-\

To be more specific, the DG834v2 and v3 series modems use the AR7 chipset. This chip was designed to get the best possible speed out of all lines. Orginally designed for DSL lines, it extended the range of the connection.

The BT homehub uses the Broadcom chipset, now depending upon the model of the chip it has been designed to be conservative on DSL Max lines in particular.  This allows the chip to be a little more stable than most, however you do sacrafice speed in return.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »

"and unfortunately, the Home Hubs have their own reputation."

very tactful  ;)
zen user

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »

As said earlier, different router models can make a big difference. My experience is that the Netgear DG834v3 and earlier models are outstanding on long/poor lines.

But updating to the latest firmware is very important, and there are big differences in performance and possibly stability for some users with the DG834.

As for the BT router, the recent history of ludicrous security router holes have been well documented, so steering clear is a good decision. This coupled with the revelations from the BT Phorm covert trial fiasco about BT's cynicism and dishonesty as an ISP make for a toxic cocktail you might decide you want to steer clear of entirely. There are still decent straightforward ISPs out there.