Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC iPlayer downloads  (Read 6764 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
BBC iPlayer downloads
« on: December 20, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »

As Jid noted in the News Articles section, the BBC has now made available software for Linux and Mac users to download iPlayer programmes. However this makes use of proprietary software from Adobe with DRM. For those (like me) who prefer not to use DRM there is an unofficial DRM-free alternative with get_iplayer.

I installed get_iplayer on my Debian Lenny system using the instructions on the site, and it was straightforward, with just one unsatisfied dependency which I installed from the normal Debian repository. It's a command-line program, but very easy to use, and has more features than you can shake a stick at. The programmes are downloaded in Quicktime format, and can be viewed with several Linux progams such as Mplayer, Kaffeine and Xine.

If I can summon up the energy after Christmas, I'm going to look at writing a GUI front-end for get_iplayer, but in the meantime it works very well in its command-line form.
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: BBC iPlayer downloads
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »

So that was what the Adobe Installer thingy was all about...

DRM...
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »

I'm afraid so :(
  Eric

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 01:01:22 PM »

As Jid noted in the News Articles section, the BBC has now made available software for Linux and Mac users to download iPlayer programmes. However this makes use of proprietary software from Adobe with DRM. For those (like me) who prefer not to use DRM there is an unofficial DRM-free alternative with get_iplayer.

I installed get_iplayer on my Debian Lenny system using the instructions on the site, and it was straightforward, with just one unsatisfied dependency which I installed from the normal Debian repository. It's a command-line program, but very easy to use, and has more features than you can shake a stick at. The programmes are downloaded in Quicktime format, and can be viewed with several Linux progams such as Mplayer, Kaffeine and Xine.

If I can summon up the energy after Christmas, I'm going to look at writing a GUI front-end for get_iplayer, but in the meantime it works very well in its command-line form.

YAY - way to go!  The Beeb sees sense at last - and it works quite well   :clap: :clap2:

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:35:56 PM »

It may seem a good idea but this will then stream the contents from your connection back out onto the internet for other people to use, so you will be paying for streaming it.  >:D
Edit, also letting people have access to your computer !.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 09:35:00 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:27:48 PM »

Another good reason to use get_iplayer instead.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:55:21 PM »

Another good reason to use get_iplayer instead.

I had a look at that but I will wait to see how you get on  you said :=  "If I can summon up the energy after Christmas, I'm going to look at writing a GUI front-end for get_iplayer, but in the meantime it works very well in its command-line form."
I can us CL but like a GUI  ;).
I f you do get some thing sorted and you want me to test it send me a PM.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 07:18:26 AM »

Thanks, I'll do that.
  Eric

anything