Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A point of presence?  (Read 6389 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
A point of presence?
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:37:49 PM »

Tiscali are for the second time reporting issues with one of their points of presence this evening.

I was just wondering as to what their point of presence is and what it is that it does?

They are reporting that a certain number of customers anywhere on the uk could be unable to connect.

Is this some sort of link for exchanges where the fibre optic cable goes or something?

Cheers

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: A point of presence?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »

Hi

google pop has some info

"An acronym for Point of Presence, POP is a service provider's location for connecting to users. Generally, POP refers to the location where people can dial into the provider's host computer. Most providers have several POPs to allow low-cost access via telephone lines."

and there are more explanations :)
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:38:55 PM »

See How adsl works ~ PoP (Point of Presence).

As with regards to tiscali in specific - iirc I mentioned tiscalis PoP in this post.
It means theres a problem from where it comes off the exchange backhaul links and on to their own network.  Tiscali will likely have a few PoPs around the UK.

Most PoPs are located in London, but there are more dotted around the UK such as Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh etc.  Think of it as a large hub... or if you want to equate it to BTws network, this would be the RAS or bRAS
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 12:40:56 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:02:22 PM »

Aah so my exchange is connected to one of these PoP?

Thanks for the explanation Kitz! :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 03:22:32 PM »

Yep

With tiscali LLU, from the exchange to the PoP traffic will still pass through the BTw equip I showed you in the other post, the fibre connection and wiring etc is all likely done by BTw. But Tiscali 'buy the fibre' rather than lease a portion of it (eg datastream) or pay for use (IPStream).

IIRC Cardiff now has a PoP but not sure if Tiscali has a prescence there, or it it may go somewhere like say Birmingham.  If theyre having problems at a PoP it means they havent bought sufficient 'big fat pipe' capacity from the PoP in say Birmingham and on to their HQ either in MK or London.

A problem of this size is pretty major as it will affect a heck of a lot of their users - both LLU and DataStream for a large portion of the country.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »

So could they fix it say 5-6hours as they claimed they have, could this be related to the recent peak time slowdowns I have been experiencing?

They said
Approx 2300 customers connecting via the Birmingham Point of Presence(these could however be from any part of the UK) will be experiencing connectivity issues with their Internet Services. /snip/

They had another status issue in the week which was similar but it was for their Reading PoP where 9000!! customers were affected! < indicates too many subscribers and not enough pipe?
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »

hmmmm  depends what it is.

If theres an equip failure then it could be fixed in that time limit.   If its shortage of bandwidth...  well it takes weeks/months to get that sort of bandwidth installed.
Because of the long 'order' time for fibre, then its why some ISPs sometimes have difficulties for a while, in that capacity may sometimes go over whilst still within the order period.
-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »

Hi

"they havent bought sufficient 'big fat pipe' capacity from the PoP".

Nothing new there then !
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »

More than likely a fault...

Kind Regards
Jamie

anything