Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Freeview TV....  (Read 12141 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Freeview TV....
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:29:55 PM »

>> You'll find the stubble has often disappeared from the digitised signal.

That sounds like an advantage to me :lol:
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »

>> You'll find the stubble has often disappeared from the digitised signal.

That sounds like an advantage to me :lol:

from OF's string

http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 01:03:38 PM »

Well we get Freeview OK on our high gain aerial (I had to have a new one anyway and so fitted a high gain type) although if you use the Freeview post code checker it says we dont get it here  :P The problem we are going to have is when the switch over comes because being right on the coast only a short distance from France and they switch to their equivalent as well there is likely to be a problem because they will up their signal strength. Not sure they will co-operate with the UK. As others have said signal strength can vary but some times even with good strength we get dropout on the picture.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »

I have cable, no satellite or aerial actually needed, even then I still on the odd occasion get a sharp breakdown and freezing of picture and sound, so the problem obviously is down to the strength of signal being sent from the supplier.

As for Freeview or any other other type of signal strength, one of the posts says the mast is very close, this in fact can actually have a adverse effect and give you too strong a signal, so you would have to use a "Attenuator" to drop the signal strength to get a decent quality.
(You can also sometimes achieve this by wrapping "one or two" strands of the coax outer cable sheath onto the center core cable)
A friend of mine lives in Sutton Coldfield with the mast at the bottom of their road and the picture quality from that site is dreadful, so they get their signal from a different mast.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:56:09 PM by oldfogy »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »

A friend of mine lives in Sutton Coldfield with the mast at the bottom of their road and the picture quality from that site is dreadful.
The signal can be too strong, they may need some attenuation.
A competent aerial installer will have all the right equipment to measure signal stregth and make the appropriate adjustments.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »

As some of you know I took the plunge this summer and got a free-view box and it works fine on my bog standard aerial. The only time it threw a hissy fit was last week when it snowed heavily for a couple of hours, everybody went bright pink and the picture went blocky and lagged. It sounds as if something is suddenly blocking the signal, in view of TD's problem it could be something like a crane on a site, or a new construction having reached a certain height.

I noticed the other day that although all the channels are still there some of them seem to have moved channel numbers, I know they do updates on the transmitters, have you tried re-scanning all the stations.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 06:37:12 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies and help, most useful.  From what you've said I'm thinking it is indeed the weak signal as a problem especially as we all have different equipment and aerials but have the same trouble with the picture.  I went to freeview site with the postcode and it said, "good news you should be able to receive the most popular channels and more after the switchover" or words to that effect.  I've now contacted them from their site..... so hopefully they will come up with an answer if they reply.

As for the "digital" aerial that my neighbour has, he is so easily convinced about things that even I mentioned (with my limited knowledge) that one doesn't actually need a digital aerial for the switchover, he went for one having been sold it by the aerial installers.  When I rang a local guy who does aerials he knew immediately that in my area the analogue tv has a weak signal and told me if I have a new aerial it would have to be a high gain one.  I didn't go ahead with it because we have sky+ but now having seen the freeview on the new tv and hearing what you have to say here, it does look to me as though I will have to get a new aerial to optimize freeview pics.  Will see what Freeview peeps have to say.

Thanks so much for your help, I knew I could rely on you wonderful people.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:08 AM »

If you've got Sky and intend to keep it you don't have to do anything. All the Freeview channels are available on Sky anyway.
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »

You can also use your Sky satellite dish to pick up Freesat from Freeview if you don't want to keep paying Sky subscriptions and the satellite dish belongs to you (ie. not still owned buy Sky on a free installation if you stay with us deal)
Pages: 1 [2]