Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT BB Slow connection at night  (Read 5613 times)

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
BT BB Slow connection at night
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »

hi peeps

1st time here so hoya every1.

i've had bt total bb for 10 days now.  all connected ok for the 1st few days then for the last 5 nights i get a connection of between 0kbs and 1.5mb.

after doin the following:

hard reset router/reseated cables
reboot pc
reset tcpip/winsock using netsh
close av/fw/nis
change router channel
tried 2 os's
remastered pc
transfer between pc's ok on network
updated drivers

... i rang india.  after 3 attempts i found some1 who i could understand and explained what i had done so far.

she 'checked' the line and said that there are 3500+ using my exchange (1.87km away) and it get busy at night ... hence the slow connection !!!!!

my homehub stats are as follows:

Uptime: 2 days, 6:32:57

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,096

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 4.33 / 3.47

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 42.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 5.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 11,211,450

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 322

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 266

can any1 throw any light on it please??

(ps.  kitz, r u M or F?)

Paul

Paul

havelock

• Reg Member
Re: BT BB Slow connection at night
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 09:09:11 AM »

If the stats you posted were at a time when you was experiencing the slow speed problem, then it could be exchange contention - if you go to http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ and stick your postcode in it'll give you a rough idea of the capacity - red is bad, green is good.

It's also possible your ISP is throttling at peak periods. Have you noticed slow speeds on just certain applications (bittorrent/usenet) or right across the board?

I would also advise you run both sets of speedtest posted on http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwperformancetest.htm and http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm and post the results if you can.

Rgds
Havelock

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:22:03 AM »

Hi Havelock

Thanks for your reply.

The results were from about 16:00 when it was running ok.  The BT speedtest reported that I was getting between 4.5mb and 7mb at that time but it slowed down thru the night until at 21:00 there was no connection at all.

I checked the usertools website about my exchange's virtual path's and its RED from the start of the year   :(

This is the quote from the site:

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 01 Feb 07

Record last updated: 29 Jan 07

Damn!

I cant run the 2 speed tests that you recommend atm coz i'm at work but will run them later and report back.

Cheers

Paul
Paul

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 06:47:51 PM »

Havelock

I ran the tests u advised earlier and the results were 4407 and 3537 accordingly.

I did notice that torrents on 3 of my machines were d/l'in at 40kB which is a bit strange, and if i started another then they would share the bandwidth (ie 20kB each).  All ports are forwarded in the hub  :-\

Paul
Paul

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »

Hmmm, Sounds like it could be exchange contention, especially if you were getting 3537 when connected to the speedtester_domain logon, but your ISP is almost certainly throttling p2p at peak periods also- You could try getting your ISP to raise a slow speed fault as this may flag that the exchange is performing below spec to BT wholesale - the idea is to get the speedtester results to above 5mbit (your fault threshold) - Theres likely buggerall you can do to get round the traffic shaping against torrents (without doing some sneaky stuff :P)

Havelock

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »

Havelock

I've ran some tests with torrents at different times of the day regarding throttling. 

It looks like weeks days are unlimited (just checked and download was between 3.5mb and 5.5mb), all weekend couldnt get faster than 1mb, and week nights appears to be .25mb.  This is with torrents only.

These findings are more than dissapointing considering my old Bulldog account was a steady 2mb all the time.   :no:

Cheers for the help m8.

Paul
Paul

anything