Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT 'Broadband' Problems - Help Required  (Read 8953 times)

Frankie

• Just arrived
BT 'Broadband' Problems - Help Required
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:15:57 PM »

Hi folks,

Getting towards my wit's end with BT now so was hoping you knowledgable folks could help me out....

Basically, to cut a long story short, after a few months dealing with Indian helpdesk then high level complaints, Openreach engineer came last week and tested my BT line with his laptop. Said it was OK and to contact BT... ;)

Contacted my high level complaint lady who sent me out one of those nice new hubs. Connected all that up on Wednesday and got a marvellous speed of 11 kbsps (yes, eleven!) at 9pm that night. Tested again the next morning and got 750Kbps so it seems as if everything is set up correctly, my line is fine yet their service at peak times is appalling.  Tried again last night and was d/loading an BT BB desktop help update at 0.252Kbps!!!  The service appeats worse now since I changed from my Voyager router to the hub.

I read somewhere about contention ratios. Does that sound the likely cause or can it be something else?  I honestly don't think the problem is with my laptop - I don't have a lot of stuff on it and because I do get a reasonable speed (I'm on the 2Mbps service) occassionally that surely suggests it's a service problem?

Really getting fed up now. Can anyone recommend any other advice or tips on how to deal with this?  High level complaints haven't answered my email asking the same question yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT 'Broadband' Problems - Help Required
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »

Hi Frankie and welcome

Firstly this doesnt sound like contention and I suspect more to do with your line.

Can you please perform a BT performance test and paste the results in here.
Im looking for your IP Profile and the throughput rate.
(dont forget to remove your phone no)

Then can you please get your line stats for us to look at (scroll down to the Home hub section)
Details we will need are
~ Sync (Connection) speed.
~ SNR (Noise) Margin.
~ Attenuation
~ Details of any CRC/HEC errors etc.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Frankie

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:38:37 PM »

Hi Kitz:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually at work just now, so I'll do what you suggest this evening when I get home and post the results.

:)

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »

If you're on a static 2Mb service just post the results you get (There won't be an IP profile etc.)

Try it with your usual BT Broadband username and password (I seem to remember some BT customers not needing a password), then change the username to speedtester@speedtest_domain and give it another shot (you might need to get to the site using http://217.32.105.42).

This should indicate if the problem is at the ISP or a line fault between you and before your ISP's radius. You'll need to bear in mind BT consider  >400kbps during peak periods acceptable.

Rgds
Havelock

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 03:39:45 PM »

>> If you're on a static 2Mb service just post the results you get (There won't be an IP profile etc.)

Sorry missed that bit havelock..  thanks for pointing it out :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Frankie

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 06:56:52 PM »

Please note that I have had my line tested last week and the engineer said it was fine.  However, I have performed the speedtester.bt.com test every night for the past 4 weeks with an average of about 80Kbps.  This does increase outwith 'peak times'.

Ok, first test with my phone number:

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user xxxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

114 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

I've tried to disconnect and reconnect using the speedtester login but can't seem to manage that.  If I disconnect using ghe hub manager I can't open another browser window without it prompting it to reconnect me automatically.

Thanks for your helps folks.

:)

Frankie

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:20:43 PM »

Anyone have any more advice...?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 06:14:08 AM »

Hi Frankie

I notice you said its worse in the evenings, which is when the SNR Margin tends to drop.

Just to make sure its not a problem with low SNR causing errors and packet loss, which can cause some very slow speeds .........

can you please get your line stats for us to look at (scroll down to the Home hub section)

Details we will need are
~ Sync (Connection) speed.
~ SNR (Noise) Margin.
~ Attenuation
~ Details of any CRC/HEC errors etc.
-----

Frankie

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 10:44:42 PM »

Hi Kitz

I must be stupid or blind but I can't find any page which gives me that information from your link to the BT troubleshooting. :(

Anyway my latest update on this is:

Had a guy from highlevels share my laptop last night for 2 hours trying to cource the problem.  He though I had some spyware (I knew I didn't) as he could see another IP address using my connection in DOS/netsta.  I said on the phone I assumed that was his remote program.  He said it couldn't be.

So he spent an hour downloading the latest Spybot updates (My connection is that bad after 5pm) and then another 20mins running the Spybot to rid this spyware.  Of course it couldn't find it and I coluld tell he didn;t have a clue.  I suggested he used google to look up the IP address and when he tried that what was it? Yes, it was him and his remote client's address! :D :D

If it wasn't so funny I could cry.  2 hours on the phone with my Granny would have yielded better results!

He then spent another 20mins trying to do speedtests from other sites - why I don';t know - we both know the speed was crap (~45Kbps).  Eventually, he admitted he was lost and it wasn't my PC at fault.  Yet, it's not supposed to be my line either.  Hmmm...

Complaint still ongoing.

BT - Bloody Terrible.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 01:57:07 AM »

Ye Gods - I bet you were tearing your hair out - I would have been :(

Can you get to your line stats from the direct link

http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
-----

Frankie

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 01:43:34 PM »

Yep, here we go...  I'll also post them again tonight to see if they are different.

Uptime:   1 day, 20:38:53
Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   288 / 2,272
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   42.17 / 104.79
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 13.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   8.0 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   25.0 / 30.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

Also, just performed a speed test and got the following result. :(

"The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user xxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

64 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second. "
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:52:19 PM by Frankie »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 02:39:27 PM »

Those stats are very good indeed.
I wouldnt expect to see any problems on a line like that.

From that one set - it would appear to rule out low SNR problems and error packet loss...
Worthwhile checking in the evenings..  but since you are getting very low speed now at this time of the day..  I think its pretty safe to assume its not that either.

Now Im beginning to run short of ideas :/

----
I know youve already tried it without sucess but the next step would be to try the old style BTw speedtester.
Have you tried opening up 2 browser windows before you start the test.

Have one ready to go with the url http://217.32.105.42 - But do not press enter or Go yet

Then open another browser window and log into your router and change your details to the speedtest@speedtest_domain

Once youve connected to the speedtest domain - then press enter in the speedtest window.
-----

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 02:45:14 PM »

Notice you don't have any connection errors, mainly as a result of the quality of your line. Perhaps you are suffering very badly from contention or a bandwidth problem rather than a line/connection problem. If you think about a possible contention ratio of 1/50 on your 2Mb bandwidth you are looking at a throughput of around that figure. But I would agree it is odd that you seem to suffer so badly all the time.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 03:18:22 PM »

Agreed soms.
This is looking a strange one indeed.

Those figures are way too low for normal exchange contention..  especially when its 24/7.
If it was exchange contention that low - then you think that there would be a bit of a stink being kicked up elsewhere in the town.
-----

Frankie

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 10:27:33 PM »

Hi guys,

Thanks again for your continued support.

I'd post my stats of the last few minutes but they are very similar to the earlier ones so I won't waste space. 

I've actually been monitoring my connection over the last 20mins or so and the results have been a bit more encouraging - around 350-500Kbps d/load speed and the usual 200kbps upload speed.  I used the bbmax site for this.

As I've said before they have checked the line before and it as supposedly fine.  Maybe they have been working on my service today or maybe everyone else in the locale is out on the lash... ;)

I'll continue to observe the quality over the next day or two.  One swallow doesn't make summer... ;)
Pages: [1] 2