Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Basic Networking for Dummys  (Read 14394 times)

mywifeshusband

Basic Networking for Dummys
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »

My PC is wirelessly connected to a BT 2500v router via a BT 1055 dongle using the BT protocol rather than Microsoft. My new Samsung NC 10 netbook is also connected wirelessly to the internet via the same router, as is a Panasonic BL-c131 webcam.

My problem is that I need the old PC to act as a printer server for the new netbook via a wireless link, (and of course it would be useful to be able to exchange files between the two machines too). As present I have to e'mail attachments between the two which I'm sure is not the proper way to do the job.

Now I have tried the Windows networking wizard and all seemed to be going well with swapping dongles between machines etc, until the last leg when it told me that all had been set up correctly but it probably wouldn't work: and it didn't. The error referred me to Windows Knowledge Base Article 871122 which I have read, but am reluctant to try as it seems as if I could very well mess up the properly functioning BT managed connection between my MC and the router via the BT1055 dongle. This I don't want to do at all costs.

Can anyone out there please tell me how I can complete the network to incorporate the new netbook into the existing BT managed network using the existing BT network management protocols?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Basic Networking for Dummys
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »

You shouldn't need to worry about the BT software at all, it's only effectively replacing a wire.
Your "problems" are at a higher level.
What versions of Windows are these computers using?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:09:33 PM by HPsauce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »

Just a thought -

Sometimes when you run the networking wizard to set up file/print sharing Windows will allocate the IP 192.168.0.1 to one of the network devices (either the LAN or WAN).
This can sometime cause a conflict if your router uses 192.168.0.1 and/or remember that the network needs to be in the same IP range.
Just check what IP addresses have been allocated to each network device and make sure that all IPs (and the network name) are in the same range.

I prefer to hardcode the IP address into the PC... and call me weird, but I actually prefer the Windows network manager to most of the config software that comes with wireless adapters.. as it is something that Ive found that M$ does actually seem to do quite well.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mywifeshusband

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 12:48:37 PM »

Thanks for your contributions. Windows Xp SP3 on both machines. Pc = 'Professional' & Netbook = 'Home'. Both V5.1 according to "About Windows" in Windows 'Help'

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »

I actually prefer the Windows network manager to most of the config software that comes with wireless adapters
Me too, I'm actually quite a fan of the Windows "Zero" configurator for wireless networks. Consistent and clear.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »

Pc = 'Professional' & Netbook = 'Home'
Probably in different workgroups then (WORKGROUP and MSHOME are likely).
Change them to be the same; if you don't know how ask here.

mywifeshusband

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »

Thanks for your help. I did call this post Networking for Dummys, so I don't mind being talked down to here! Words of one syllable please.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »

You will have to set the printer to shared from its properties on the desktop.

You may also have to install the drivers on the laptop as well as the desktop.

Once you have it shared, turn off all firewalls on both machines.

1. Go to the laptop and Printers and Faxes

2. Select add a printer NEXT>

3. Select A network printer NEXT>

4. Select Browse for printer NEXT>

5. Select the printer NEXT>

6. DEFAULT END but at that point you may have to install the drivers.

Print a test page and if it works turn one of the firewalls back on.

Do another test to confirm it still works.

Turn the other firewall back on.

Test again.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:15:05 PM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »

Words of one syllable please.
OK. Find My Computer (Start menu or desktop?) and right-mouse-click on it - a menu appears.
Click on properties (bottom option) - a small window appears "System Properties".
Click on the Computer Name tab and see what name is against Workgroup:
If the 2 PC's are different use the Change button on one of them to make them identical (e.g. MSHOME)

Until you do that file and printer sharing is possible but less easy.

mywifeshusband

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »

[If the 2 PC's are different use the Change button on one of them to make them identical (e.g. MSHOME)]
They were different, and I have changed the new laptop to that of the old PC. I will proceed from here cautiously!
Thanks to all for your posts. However, that difficult to access site proved quite impossible: could it be they don't like Networking Dummys?

mywifeshusband

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »

I'm pleased I've given you people so much to chat about in high intellectual debate; which it way above my head!  For what it is worth, I can't raise the website either, (but, Hey! - I'm the dummy who started this all off in the first place). Meanwhile I struggle on. I have now installed the Epson Printer software complete on the laptop, so it has the same drivers and everything all things Epson, (kitchen sink included) that has the old PC, and through a USB link I can print from the Netbook now perfectly well, but that is not the point, and I wonder though if this was actually necessary?
I will post again when I have had another go, (making a note of what happens at each stage:) - and the wet towel round my head had been re-soaked!
Ta! again for your continuing interest.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:05:14 PM »

Now I have tried the Windows networking wizard and all seemed to be going well with swapping dongles between machines etc, until the last leg when it told me that all had been set up correctly but it probably wouldn't work: and it didn't.

I think we need to start again from the beginning:
Can you confirm or answer the following questions please:

1. You ran the Network setup wizard on "Both PC's" (Although it said it might not work)
2. What Dongle have you been switching between PC's?
3. Why switch the Dongle between PC's?
4. Have you set any Files or Folders for sharing?

edit:
Would it be a good idea to remove "ALL" the posts reffering to my link which can't seem to be accessed as it's making this thread now look silly.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:11:47 PM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 06:50:26 PM »

Would it be a good idea to remove "ALL" the posts reffering to my link which can't seem to be accessed as it's making this thread now look silly.

Good idea OF. I've split them into a separate thread.
  Eric

mywifeshusband

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 04:56:02 PM »

OK this is my log of what I have just done. I have tried various variations on this theme previously but it all come to the same thing in the end. The same error message.
Network Setup actions
Main PC
Start – Control Panel – Network & Internet Connections.
Set a wireless network for a home or  small office. (Opens Wireless Network Wizard)
Click ‘Next’ – I check ‘Add new computer to the ‘xyz’ network.
Note. The xyz network is the replaces the ‘abc’ network I tried to set up earlier. Neither worked, but I can’t see how to delete the former network before trying again.
Click ‘Next’ – Check ‘Use USB flash drive. This I do.- Click – ‘Next’.
Save settings on flash drive. – select G drive in my case – Flash Drive Flashes.
Transfer network settings etc. The flash drive is still plugged into the PC –
I am given 3 tasks to do.These I do before checking ‘Next’ at the base of the screen.
 First task – I remove the Flash drive from the PC and plug it into a spare Netbook USB slot.
The Network wizard starts on the Netbook. I ignore and plug flash drive back into the PC. – and click, ‘Next’. (N.B In past attempts I have in fact runt the wizard again at this stage on the netbook but at the point when it asks for the flash drive a second time, it rejects it and Im forced to come out of the loop by clicking the 'unnecessary' option.)I get the final wizard screen up saying that my network is now ready to use but Error Microsoft Windows XP Depending upon the wireless software running on this computer, the wireless network wizard may not work. For details see Microsoft Knowledge Base  871122.
I print the network settings
Have feelings of de’ja’ vu Kick the cat: and click ‘Finish’.

The dongle mentioned earlier is the flash drive referred to above.
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? :'(
Thank a lot.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 05:30:54 PM »

Not sure exactly what but you're definitely doing too much.

You only need to run the Wizard to turn networking on. Don't save anything on any media or transfer it anywhere else.
Then you need (ideally) to make sure all PC's are in the same workgroup.
And you need them all physically connected to the same physical network - wired or wireless. This is usually by just connecting them to the same router.

That's it.

Then you just share things and they become visible - sometimes it takes a few minutes. To be honest this will turn networking on anyway if it's not on already.

You may have gone too far and inadvertently messed up some details, in which case call your local PC networking expert to have a look. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to fix.
Pages: [1] 2