Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: slawdog smartsd  (Read 3950 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
slawdog smartsd
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:18:22 AM »

I wonder if I could be advised please.  :)

I have occasional problems shutting down my PC..........it gets to the "windows is shutting down stage" and then doesn't  :no:

I'm currently running through all the traditional checks with drivers, malware checks, corrupt progs, etc.etc., one at a time, to try to isolate and identify the problem, but on googling I came across a prog "slawdog smart sd" (at http://www.slawdog.com/products/smartsd/index.aspx ) which seems to be a helper in this area.

I wondered if anyone had experience and/or opinions on this program ?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: slawdog smartsd
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 06:22:26 PM »

HI
I would also be interested as I am having the same problem :(
Regards Jeff
zen user

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »

Hi, Jeff.

Well nothing ventured, nothing gained so I have installed it and will try it over the next couple of days and let you know how it goes.  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »

This is also a nice little program that I use called "EnditAll"
There basically two options "End it All and Kill All"
I don't use "Kill All" it has in the past given me a small problem that when I re-booted my PC, windows came back with a error, but with re-booting a second time there was never a problem.

(I have always maintained that a re-boot does not completely turn off all of windows, so it may be that it killed part of windows that windows then needed after the re-boot, but I have never bothered to try and find out which bit as I am happy enough just using the End it All part)

However, the program will not close everything - it will stop short of closing anything essential anyway so it's really idiot proof. The interface is really simple and it certainly looks a lot better than Windows own Process Manager. If you need to suddenly free up some RAM, it's a much better option and vastly more powerful.

There are various EnditAll2 options from a search, but the screen shot from this one is the one I use.
http://enditall.en.softonic.com/

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »

I have now tried both of these programs but, sad to say, neither has helped.

Back to the drawing board, I'm afraid.  :(

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 06:51:25 PM »

Thanks TD

I have resorted to shutting everything down manually before shutting down . I also suspected some problem with "spyware doctor" from PCTOOLS.I was having to start up 2 o3  of times before every thing was loaded . So for a couple of days I have stopped it loading . Everything seems ok . I shall shut down normally and see what happens . ::)

Jeff
zen user

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »

Jeff, I have been using slawdog SmartSD all week now and I have returned here to make a liar of myself as it seems to be working for me now.........I feel the earlier failure may be down to user error.

I think now that it may very well be worth you giving it a try.

The down load file is only 349 kbs, and the installed program only 596kbs.

It ingratiates itself into your start-up processes but has no adverse effect on start up speed..........and it shows in Taskmanager as a process taking only about 4.68Mbs of RAM.

It puts an icon on the Desktop marked "shut down computer" ( that icon is very similar to the My Computer one, so they are best kept well apart ) and it was this icon that caused my doubts about the program as the effect of double clicking it to shut down was the same as clicking on the normal Windows shut-down button....ie get to "Windows is shutting down" and then nothing happening.

But....but....it also puts a little icon in the systray next to the clock and right clicking on that produces a menu in which you can make various configurations to suit and in which are the options to shut down, restart, hibernate etc etc. When you then click on, say, "shutdown" a wee dialogue opens asking for your confirmation of that command.

I have been using that to both shutdown and to restart................and on every one of these commands that I have given it this week it has done as requested.
My machine is shutting down and/or restarting correctly.........and I have been doing these things more often that normal just to test.

I've changed my opinion about this program and now think that it would be well worth you trying it................if it doesn't work for you it is easy to kill the process in taskmanager and then uninstall.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on. 

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »

Hi TD

I will give it a go. I have been shutting down normally for a couple of days .The only thing I have done is to disable "spyware doctor"

before shutting down and re enable it after start up. when I try "slawdog smart sd" i will see if it copes with "spyware doctor" .

Regards Jeff
zen user